Our insolvency and restructuring practice draws together banking, corporate, insolvency, investment funds, litigation, regulatory and restructuring expertise from the BVI, Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey. We deploy carefully integrated, multi-disciplinary teams to work closely with leading professionals in the US, the UK and elsewhere.
Mourant Ozannes plays a leading role in the largest and most high profile insolvency-related cases in the BVI, Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey, usually cross-border in practice requiring rapid and efficient co-ordinated advice. We advise on all aspects of complex corporate restructurings, providing pragmatic and workable solutions for our clients.
Our clients include major financial institutions, trust companies, UK/US law and accountancy practices, regulatory and public bodies as well as high net worth individuals.
For more information on insolvency and restructuring click here.
We have advised on:
- Significant Cayman liquidations, including Peloton, SPhinX, Trade and Commerce Bank, Bear Stearns, Parmalat and Weavering
- Enforcing offshore security, including over shares and units
- Offshore obligors in default scenarios, including breach of LTV covenants
- Offshore regulatory breaches on a change of control following merger or takeover, and how to avoid them
- Restructuring note programmes, including some involving Lehman
- Transactions connected with the Whistlejacket SIV
- A distressed CMBS transaction, advising in Jersey and the Cayman Islands
- Unitholder activism in property unit trusts
- Distressed funds, including redemption suspension, de-registration, restructuring, winding-up, maximising investor returns and cross-border insolvency and asset recovery
- Advising directors on their duties and on regulatory and compliance matters
- Restructuring a £1bn credit fund
- Restructuring a synthetic CDO
- Historic ‘rescue’ securitisations to take-out bank debt
- Corporate restructuring of a major international power supplier, involving the use of Jersey preference shares
- A creditors’ scheme of arrangement
- Advising on the appointment/removal of liquidators
- Employment implications of insolvency, for trading companies.