White & Case has made up seven associates to partner in London, out of 31 who have been given the nod across the firm as a whole.
In the UK, Kamilla Azamat (project finance), James Greene (capital markets), James Hardy (banking), Tim Hickman (intellectual property), James Johnson, Steven Worthington (both M&A) and Rebecca Shorter (international arbitration) will take the step up as of 1 January 2018.
Johnson and Greene were trainees in the London office, as was Alexander Malahias, who is promoted in Abu Dhabi.
Executive partner Oliver Brettle said that the promotions – two thirds of which were in London and New York – demonstrated the firm’s commitment to its 2020 strategy, which involves building up those two offices in particularly. “It also shows that we have a strong pipeline of legal talent coming through, and promotion of Alex [Malahias] continues to build the very strong links between London and the Middle East offices,” he said.
Elsewhere, nine associates have been made up in New York, and four have been promoted in Washington DC – the only other office to see more than a couple of promotions.
Only four have been promoted across continental Europe – two in Stockholm and one each in Hamburg and Bratislava – down from 11 last year. There are no promotions in the firm’s Asia offices this year.
White & Case promotions 2018: in full
- Maria Beguiristain, White Collar, Miami
- Jay Campbell, Trade, Washington DC
- Matthew Drossos, International Arbitration, Washington DC
- Frank Hogue, Antitrust, Washington DC
- Francisco Jijón, International Arbitration, Washington DC
- Robert Counihan Intellectual Property, New York
- Ross Elfand, Antitrust, New York
- James Fogarty, Capital Markets, New York
- Rebecca Gottlieb, Banking, New York
- Ash Ilkhani, Capital Markets, New York
- Ryan Johnson, Intellectual Property, New York
- Luke Laumann, Mergers & Acquisitions, New York
- Francis Lupinacci, Mergers & Acquisitions, New York
- David Suggs, Antitrust, New York
- Jonathan Hawk, Commercial Litigation, Los Angeles
- Robert Morrison, Banking Practice, Los Angeles
- Kamilla Azamat, Project Finance, London
- James Greene, Capital Markets, London
- James Hardy, Banking, London
- Tim Hickman, Intellectual Property, London
- James Johnson, Mergers & Acquisitions, London
- Rebecca Shorter, International Arbitration, London
- Steven Worthington, Mergers & Acquisitions, London
- Juraj Fuska, Mergers & Acquisitions, Bratislava
- Matthias Kiesewetter, Mergers & Acquisitions, Hamburg
- Johan Thiman, Capital Markets, Stockholm
- Henrik Wireklint, Mergers & Acquisitions, Stockholm
- Alexander Malahias, Project Finance, Abu Dhabi
- Claire Matheson Kirton, Banking, Dubai
- Ali Shaikley, Mergers & Acquisitions, Dubai
- Quintin du Plessis, Banking, Johannesburg