Mayer Brown has promoted four lawyers to partnership in London as part of its 31-strong global round.
The firm has promoted corporate and securities lawyer Rebecca Bothamley, tax transactions and consulting lawyer Ben Fryer, restructuring bankruptcy and insolvency lawyer Jessica Walker and real estate lawyer Iain Roberts in London.
Mayer Brown’s London promotions matched those in the firm’s Washington DC and Paris offices, which also had four promotions, and was larger than Sao Paulo (with 3) Hong Kong, Houston and Charlotte (with one apiece).
Last year, the firm promoted two lawyers in London: litigation and disputes specialist Jonathan Stone and IP lawyer Oliver Yaros, in a round of 21 promotions. This year the firm promoted the highest number of lawyers to partner since 2012.
Mayer Brown chair Paul Theiss said: “It is my pleasure to welcome these outstanding lawyers to Mayer Brown’s partnership.”
Mayer Brown London senior partner Sally Davies said: “We’re proud that, in line with our commitment to maintaining a diverse London office, 50 per cent of our promoted partners are female. In addition, several of our new partners and counsel started out as trainees at the firm. We are very pleased that we continue to have a good track record for retaining and promoting home-grown talent. We wish them every success in their new roles.”
Last year, The Lawyer published an article on partnership prospects at the US firm. Our data revealed that since 2008, Mayer Brown has made up 231 partners globally, with 28 making the cut in London (12 per cent of the total). After Chicago and New York, London has seen the most promotions in the network in the last nine years.
In recent years, however, UK promotions have been relatively thin on the ground, with only one London associate per year made up in 2013, 2015 and 2015, and just two getting the nod in 2016.
In this round, the firm has focused on restructuring and insolvency, real estate, tax and corporate and securities, with each practice making up almost 25 per cent of the firm’s total promotions round. In previous years, dispute resolution has played a big part in Mayer Brown’s promotions focus – but in 2016 it switched to banking and finance and corporate.
Mayer Brown promotions in full
- Rebecca Bothamley, corporate and securities
- Ben Fryer, tax transactions and consulting
- Jessica Walker, restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency
- Iain Roberts, real estate
- Adam Kanter, corporate and securities
- Dara Kurlancheek, intellectual property
- Stephen Medlock, litigation and dispute resolution
- Brad Resnikoff, financial services regulatory and enforcement
- Jeremiah A. DeBerry, diversity and inclusion
- Joseph Castelluccio, corporate and securities
- Jared Goldberger, tax transactions and consulting
- Christopher Comstock, litigation and dispute resolution
- Mark Dempsey, banking and finance
- Scott Guetzow, real estate
- Darius Horton, banking and finance
- Gina Oderda, wealth management
- Lindsay O’Neil, banking and finance
- Peter Price, tax controversy
- Matthew Provance, litigation and dispute resolution
- Lei Shen, corporate and securities
- Kristen B. Ford, corporate and securities
- Ruth Zadikany, litigation and dispute resolution
- Michael Gaffney, banking and finance
- Elodie Deschamps, tax transactions and consulting
- Alban Dorin, banking and finance
- Julien Haure, employment and benefits
- Caroline Lan, corporate and securities
- David McKellar, legal risk and compliance
- Gustavo Lasalvia Besada, litigation and dispute resolution
- Ludmila Arruda Braga, real estate
- Luis Montes, banking and finance