Litigation Disciplinary Tribunals 22/10/96

Stephen Bhodan Wilk, 38, admitted 1985, practised on his own account as Bhodan Wilk, prohibited from having his name restored to the roll and ordered to pay £528 costs. Allegations substantiated that Wilk, who had voluntarily had his name removed from the roll, was jailed for two years after his conviction at Leeds Crown Court in December 1995 of conspiracy to defraud. Tribunal told fraud did not relate to his practice as a solicitor. It took place between 1992 and 1994 and involved a sophisticated mail order fraud perpetrated by Wilk and his two brothers. They had obtained false identities and then advertised that they would assist people to become millionaires. People answering the adverts paid £50 each and in all Wilk and his brothers received some £200,000. At their trial the judge said Wilk had been the ringleader. Tribunal said it was clear that Wilk's behaviour had been "entirely reprehensible" and an order should be made banning him from being restored to the roll.

Eric Samwell, 69, solicitor's clerk with Messrs Cornish & Co, Ilford, at material time, banned from working for any further solicitors without written consent from the Law Society and ordered to pay £31,034 costs. Allegations substantiated he represented client of his employer seeking Letters of Administration and in course of that work created false documents which he produced to Cheltenham and Gloucester Building society to close an account with that society. A sum of £46,130 was transferred to the client account of Messrs Cornish & Co. Tribunal told Samwell admitted forging the document but gave no explanation why he had behaved as he did. The money had apparently not been handled dishonestly.

Richard Kenneth McDougall Morrison, 59, admitted 1979, banned from having his name restored to the roll except by order of the tribunal and ordered to pay £521 costs. Allegations substantiated he was jailed for 21 months after he pleaded guilty at Winchester Crown Court in January 1996 to offences of dishonesty. Tribunal told Morrison voluntarily removed his name from the roll in July 1995. He had been a sole practitioner and his wife had been employed as a costs draftsman. He and his wife had appeared at Winchester Crown Court on a series of charges relating to obtaining funds from the Legal Aid Board by making false reports and false claims. Claims said to have related not to fictitious persons. Clients had existed but false claims were in respect of work said to have been carried out for those clients. Tribunal said Morrison's behav- iour was at the most serious end of the scale and could not be tolerated.