By Andy Neill
What is ethical AI?
In 2017, the Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence was appointed by the House of Lords. Their role is to consider the economic, ethical and social implications of advances in artificial intelligence. As part of their 2017-2019 session report, they suggested the following AI code:
1. Artificial intelligence should be developed for the common good and benefit of humanity.
2. Artificial intelligence should operate on principles of intelligibility and fairness.
3. Artificial intelligence should not be used to diminish the data rights or privacy of individuals, families or communities.
4. All citizens have the right to be educated to enable them to flourish mentally, emotionally and economically alongside artificial intelligence.
5. The autonomous power to hurt, destroy or deceive human beings should never be vested in artificial intelligence.