By Karl Anders

Residential landlords will be aware that Residents’ Associations can be involved in and represent tenants on a wide range of property management issues if they are formally ‘recognised’ under section 29 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

In particular, recognised Residents Associations:

  • must be consulted by landlords in relation to major works and qualifying long term arrangements which are paid for via the service charge
  • can represent tenants and advance their interests in relation to the service charge process
  • can seek information concerning services charges claimed and costs incurred
  • can appoint a qualified surveyor to advise on service charge matters