Job title: Staff writer
Reports to: The Lawyer deputy editor
About The Lawyer…
The Lawyer is the go-to title for news, analysis and business intelligence to the influential commercial legal sector and has become a global digital brand with numerous events every year. It is recognised for its forward-looking content and senior audience and has regularly won awards for its market-leading journalism, insight and data. We report breaking news and pick out emerging trends in one of the most powerful and influential business sectors in the world. Our readers work at major global law firms, top barristers’ chambers and in-house departments in businesses across the UK and beyond. The Lawyer is recognised as one of the best places to start a journalistic career.
How You’ll Help Us Grow…
The writer will be responsible for writing commentary based on The Lawyer’s proprietary research and other relevant data for Signal, The Lawyer’s long-form output for subscribers. They will work closely with the senior editorial team and a newly-appointed data journalist and will be keen to develop a strong understanding of business trends.
The role would suit an ambitious writer able to create stylish, nuanced analysis and will also involve cultivating industry contacts, working to daily, weekly and monthly deadlines and representing The Lawyer at industry events. Knowledge of professional services or related sectors is an advantage but not required; most of all, we want curiosity and flair, and there is plenty of on-the-job training.
A Day In The Life Of…
- You’ll investigate exclusive angles on The Lawyer’s proprietary research and other data sources.
- You’ll spent time writing commentary for senior subscribers of The Lawyer Signal
- You’ll assist the wider team by contributing short-form insight for The Lawyer Horizon, our daily must-read 7am analysis
- You’ll be proactive and have no problem turning copy round and meeting deadlines
- You’ll be a natural at building relationships and confident when interviewing industry contacts
- You’ll generate ideas, both news and long-form
- You’ll be able to analyse data and work with the reporting and research teams to create stories and insight
- You’ll spend time uploading analysis and data content for The Lawyer website
- You’ll work with The Lawyer’s wider team on events-based content where relevant
- You’ll be a natural at networking by building up contacts and maintaining existing relationships. As well as sourcing contacts that are unknown/unused by rivals in the market.
- You’ll be proactive in building contacts with external data providers
- You’ll assist the senior team to understand the market and be happy working collaboratively and sharing information
- You’ll keep the editors up to date by communicating ideas and progress
What We Need You To Have…
- You’ll have a clear, elegant, authoritative writing style that needs minimal editing
- Strong accuracy in analysing trends and data
- Ability to produce accurate, stylish copy within deadline.
- Intermediate numeracy skills in order to analyse numeric date
- Strong familiarity with Excel
- The ability to manage competing deadlines
- Willingness to learn and read around the topic
- Strong news sense
- An understanding of ethics and confidentiality
- A knowledge of the legal industry would be desirable
Our teams will say you’re
- Confident when communicating both internally and externally
- Full of ideas and always sharing your knowledge
- A stickler for detail
- Super organised and are always one step ahead