JOB TITLE: Marketing Director
LOCATION: London, Waterloo
About The Lawyer…
The Lawyer is an award-winning, market-leading brand. It focuses on the business of law – which law players have a distinct and winning strategy, which are financially performing, which are using tech to transform their services, and which are building sustainable cultures and organisations.
It has over 300 subscribing organisations, 60k individual users, including over 90% of the 50 largest UK and 50 largest US law firms operating internationally out of the London marketplace. We aim to provide data-rich insight that helps senior legal leadership teams see around corners.
We have fantastic and growing digital engagement with over half our subscribers visiting TheLawyer.com on a daily or weekly basis. In addition to TheLawyer.com, we have developed a set of data-rich insight tools, including our Litigation Tracker and Signal, our new subscription service for in-depth market reports. This year, paid content will represent about 50% of total The Lawyer revenues. The Lawyer is part of Centaur plc.
How You’ll Help Us Grow…
Reporting to the Managing Director of The Lawyer, the Marketing Director will lead all marketing and branding activities. This role sits on the Leadership team and the Marketing Director is a key player in shaping and implementing the growth strategy. The role holder will provide strategic marketing support for the business; defining & segmenting the addressable market; developing a Go-to-Market plan; developing a data strategy to support the marketing and putting in place a customer lifecycle marketing plan.
They will work closely with the Commercial, Product & Research and Editorial teams to expand the reach of the brand, increase our market penetration and grow the customer base in value & volume. At the heart of this role is ensuring the value exchange between The Lawyer and our customers is front and centre of everything we do. The Marketing Director has a critical role in helping to drive the strategy & profitability of the business, driving top line revenue growth, and effectively recommending and managing the “go-to-market” investments we make to grow the business.
As a strategic marketeer sitting at the top table of the business your initial focus will be to develop a marketing strategy for the business including transitioning to a customer-led approach and to focus on the following four key commercial priorities.
A Day in The Life Of…
- Develop and lead a best in class marketing team
- Develop the plans and KPI’s to ensure all marketing activity is in place to achieve specific goals
- Analyse the subscription accounts, prospects, current and lapsed to find opportunities to increase new business, generate win-backs and increase account value.
- Work with the senior commercial teams to “micro-market” to highly targeted accounts, developing communications plans and content for all stages of the sales process.
- Work with the product & development teams to optimize the online customer journey
- Work with content producers to maximise the use of editorial and research content to drive traffic, engagement, and new business.
- Lead “stand-out” opportunities to market The Lawyer on a product and brand basis through good use of PR, social media, content marketing, influencers, and all channels
- Keep an external focus on the market, through market research and customer feedback
- Development and management of a customer data strategy
- In conjunction with finance develop a marketing revenue and cost forecasting tool to make continuous commercial insights and recommendations
- Develop a product marketing release plan and process
- Ensure the marketing team have the resources and systems required to perform effectively and get the best out of the Martech stack.
- Work with the insight and data team to monitor and analyse the performance of all marketing
What We Need You to Have…
- International B-2-B Subscription Lifecycle Marketing Experience
- Marketing revenue generation and cost management
- Experience in positioning a brand and its associated products
- Customer-centric demand generation experience
- Content marketing strategy development and deployment
- A deep experience of marketing data & processes – from GDPR to measuring ROI – but especially the creation and measurement of a lead funnel
- An appetite for pushing our use of Martech
- Experience executing flawless copy that highlights the quality of our product & content
- Confidence & competence in all aspects of the marketing mix
- An ability to develop and lead a team
- Previous experience working across Sales & Editorial teams
What We Would Like You to Have…
- Martech experience, ideally in data management platforms like Piano
- Experience of executing price increases & product launches
- Experience in managing organic and paid search
- Direct experience of e-commerce/online sales
What We Can Offer You…
- The chance to work in a leadership role in a relatively small team (50 staff in total)
- Exposure working for a high profile, market-leading brand
- Opportunity to be part of an exciting growth phase for the brand, working within an entrepreneurial PLC
- The latest Martech with our recent investment in Piano which increases our ability to target and to experiment with paywalls
- A flexible, diverse and friendly culture.
- A fantastic WeWork office on the River Thames (when we get back there!)