JOB TITLE: Event Manager
LOCATION: London, Waterloo
BRAND: The Lawyer
About The Lawyer…
The Lawyer was established 30 years ago to provide the latest news, analysis and business intelligence to lawyers working in private practice, in-house legal departments and The Bar. Since then The Lawyer has become a multi-faceted global print and digital brand with numerous events every year. The Lawyer brand is recognised for its forward-looking content, senior audience and market-leading data products, and we are delighted to be the PPA’s Business Information Product of the Year 2020.
The Lawyer’s portfolio of virtual, hybrid and in-person legal conferences, summits, bespoke roundtables, webinars and awards attract over 3,000 senior lawyers annually from private practice, chambers and in-house teams and are widely considered must-attend events amongst the top echelons of the industry.
How you’ll help us grow…
The Event Manager is responsible for leading the Event Operations team and managing The Lawyer’s full portfolio of events. The Event Manager will pay a key role in determining strategy for the annual events calendar, feeding into new product development and budgeting, as well as ensure the flawless day-to-day execution of The Lawyer’s market-leading events.
A day in the life of…
- Full end-to-end project management of the largest and most complex events in portfolio: Liaise with internal and external stakeholders; ensure all deadlines are met and events are delivered to the highest standard
- Drive and manage all awards processes: Work with content teams to develop and create awards content; monitor entry campaigns; liaise with entrants; collate and communicate results; design and manage ceremony
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with venues across London and the UK, and other key suppliers of digital and F2F event services: Negotiate and manage contracting of suppliers; maintain strong awareness of innovations in the events industry and research new event tools to deploy; identify cross-portfolio cost-efficiencies
- Develop The Lawyer’s virtual event solutions: Research, select and contract digital solutions, including event platforms, registration systems and live streaming technology; design innovative event formats and user experiences that meet our audience’s needs; manage the execution of all aspects of the virtual events portfolio
- Work with content and commercial teams to build successful event strategies and commercial models across the portfolio: Input into new product development and advise on the direction of new formats
- Build and manage annual budgets: Maintain accurate cost and revenue tracking across the full events P&L; draft and present revenue and cost models that align with margin expectations
- Work alongside commercial team to draft branding and networking opportunities for event partners: Responsibility for delivery of all non-content aspects of sponsorship packages
- Direct line management of permanent and temporary staff in events team: Set workload; conduct on-the-job training; carry out performance review assessments
- Identify where process improvements are needed across events: Communicate with internal stakeholders, draft solutions and present if needed; implement changes and continue to monitor impact
Who will guide me….?
You will report directly into the MD of The Lawyer, who will support and guide you.
What we need you to have…
- Experience managing high profile corporate events in a busy dynamic environment
- Excellent project management skills, including balancing multiple projects simultaneously
- A “team player” attitude, with an ability to bring out the best in everyone you work with
- Ability to remain calm and positive under pressure or when faced with problems or challenges
- Pride in producing accurate work with consistently strong attention to detail
- A strong sense of customer-focus
- Ability to think strategically and analytically
- Confidence when managing up and working with senior stakeholders (both internally and externally)
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills