SJ Berwin has made up six new partners, with the number of promotions at the firm dropping for the second consecutive year. The firm promoted eight in 2008, down from a record 16 in 2007.
Of the associates made up this year, three are based in London, two in Frankfurt and one in Paris.
This year’s round marks a shift in focus for the firm, which has traditionally favoured its City branch. In 2008, London won six of the eight promotions.
Senior partner Jonathan Blake said: “These promotions demonstrate our continuing focus on strengthening and deepening our pan-European practice.”
The corporate and competition practices saw the most new partners, with two each.
The promotions bring the total number of partners at the firm to 174.
The new SJ Berwin partners are:
– Michael Cziesla, corporate, Frankfurt
– Angus Evers, real estate, London
– Cameron Firth, EU and competition, London
– Ulf Gibhardt, tax, Frankfurt
– Philipp Girardet, EU and competition, London
– Thomas Maitrejean, corporate, Paris.