Online dating website eHarmony has published a list of reasons why wannabe lovers should target lawyers as potential dates, with so-called bonuses including free legal notepads and interesting law-school stories.
The blogpost, which has been shared on Facebook 17,000 times, narrowed the benefits down to a hot-list of 15 (see box).
“Quoting your date will make you sound smarter,” read the first reason, followed by: “My boyfriend is a lawyer and he says…”.
You may want to impress your parents by bringing home a lawyer as your date, or shore up your financial stability by attaching yourself to a six-figure earner, “most lawyers are financially secure,” the dating website says.
If those reasons aren’t enough to get the blood pumping, dating a lawyer can help spice up your social life by attending work events, many of which offer a free bar, the site claims.
Lawyers are also praised for their interesting law-school stories, good note-taking skills and fantastic dress sense.
Readers of the blogpost appear to have taken it with a pinch of salt, with one commenting: “Obviously they are joking because there is no mention of a great set of teeth, a prominent dorsal fin and the need to keep swimming in order to stay alive!”
The post followed a Tumblr account in July that claimed to rank ‘The 21 Hottest Barristers in London’ (24 July 2013). The website shot to fame and months later the creators of the site launched a female equivalent (14 August 2013).
To get a true insider’s experience, The Lawyer went to a charity speed dating event organised by The London Young Lawyers’ Group (LYLG) in 2009. Find out how it went in Revealed: the truth about legal speed dating.
eHarmony did not disclose how many of their members were lawyers.
Top reasons to date a lawyer, according to eHarmony
1. Quoting your date will make you sound smarter: “My boyfriend is a lawyer and he says…”
2. Your mum and dad will be impressed. Plus: A lawyer in the family is always a good thing!
3. Most lawyers are fantastic dressers. (Yes, there’s more than one suit in his/her closet.)
4. Lawyers are financially secure.
5. Lawyers know how to present themselves well – and up the charm. Your date will likely make a great
impression with your friends and colleagues.
6. Your date will stand up for you, even when you’re wrong.
7. Lawyers are often invited to interesting social events. Most of them include an open bar.
8. Lawyers are very experienced negotiators and excel at conflict resolution.
9. Like to debate? Your date is always up for that type of challenge.
10. Lawyers have good memories – or at least good note-taking skills.
11. Speaking of note-taking, there will be plenty of free legal pads lying around.
12. Your date will have interesting law-school stories (and lots of life experience). As a general rule, lawyers work hard and play hard.
13. Lawyers are eloquent, articulate and very insightful when it comes to reading another person’s character.
14. Eloquence is sexy. So are briefcases.
15. If you ever need your partner’s services, he/she will work especially hard for you.