BPP: have a free six-month £16.5k warranty on us

Didn’t get a job? Don’t worry, BPP is here to help.

Didn’t get a job? Don’t worry, BPP is here to help.

The law school is offering a free place on another course to any of its graduates who don’t manage to get legal employment in the six months after graduating, so long as your qualification was the LLB, GDL or LPC.

The free qualification can be worth up to £16,500. As the BPP says, the offer is “reflective” of its “confidence in the employability” of its LPC graduates.

Really? Ok, in 2011/12, 89 per cent of its LPC graduates were in legal employment within three months. But the other 11 per cent? Unemployed? Stacking shelves? Cleaning the toilets at Slaughter and May?

There’s a catch: to qualify you can’t just laze around for six months. You apparently have to provide proof that effort has been put into find a job. No easy thing for a student. There’s no quota as such, but some sort of evidence needs to be produced. An application form for instance. Preferably filled in.

Cue a bunch of bleary-eyed students scrawling on forms at 3am while watching a time-shifted Jeremy Kyle, shuffling down to the photocopier and sending the copy to BPP. Then it’s back on with the slippers.

Surely not.

Also on TheLawyer.com:

Another Herbert Smith Freehills disputes partner has quit – this time its Paris-based global arbitration co-head

Eversheds has a new international chairman – from Ireland

The Pension Protection Fund is close to finalising its legal panel after first mooting an innovative sharing agreement with regulators in 2011

Ashurst loses its German corporate head to Gibson Dunn

And, Osborne Clarke’s Integreon downscaling leads to just one redundancy