Emma Chadwick leads the property dispute resolution team, which specialises in all aspects of land, development and commercial and residential leasehold disputes including housing management. She is a solicitor advocate and former barrister, and has experience of alternative dispute resolution.
Chadwick’s particular expertise is in land and commercial leasehold disputes including estate and asset management, service charges, contested lease renewals, dilapidations, forfeiture, breach of lease covenants and property-related insolvency issues. In addition, she deals with trespass, boundary disputes, restrictive covenants and easements, adverse possession and contractual property disputes including development agreements for both large- and small-scale developments as well as social housing issues. She also deals with telecommunications disputes.
Chadwick advises RSLs, developers and property investors, management agents, government agencies, education institutions, ecclesiastical institutions, corporations and private clients across a variety of sectors and industries. Often her work requires particular political or commercial sensitivity.
- Obtaining an injunction on behalf of an RSL against its commercial tenant to restrain unauthorised structural alterations and thereafter forfeiture of a long lease
- Acting for an ecclesiastical institution in a complex boundary dispute with an adjoining land owner, injuncting unauthorised works to the boundary and securing settlement
- Advising a government agency on breach of its landlord’s obligations to render service charge accounts and on landlord’s failure to provide air conditioning system
- Advising managing agents on the recovery of residential service charges across large developments
- Advising a telecommunications operator on contested lease renewals and cell site occupation issues
- Advising developer on facilities issues regarding central heating plant on a development scheme
- Advising RSL on defects in service charge scheme and on rectification of under leases to prevent shortfall in recovery
- Acting for charity on property portfolio on recovery of rent and advising on tenant insolvency without forfeiture
- Advising an institution on a complex lease renewal on a site with development potential