Suzanne Burrell is a partner in the Pensions team. Based in our Thames Valley office, she advises both trustees and employers on a wide range of pensions issues.
She has experience advising a broad spectrum of pension schemes — both defined-benefit and defined-contribution schemes of all sizes. This includes schemes setup by charities and not-for-profit organisations, as well as industry-wide schemes and private sector employers.
Burrell’s experience includes:
- Advice on redesign of pension benefits including capping pensionable salary and introduction of career average benefits;
- Negotiations between trustees and employers on issues around closure to future accrual, pension scheme funding and contingent assets;
- Drafting and negotiation of contingent asset documents including parent company guarantees (including pension-protection-fund-compliant guarantees), escrow agreements and charges over real estate;
- Advice on scheme mergers;
- Review and advice on agreements with third-party providers including agreements on employer covenant review, administration agreements and investment management agreeements;
- Production of scheme documents including definitive trust deeds and rules for schemes; and
- Internal dispute resolution procedure and ombudsman cases on a wide range of disputes including ill health, misquotes of pensions and pensionability of bonuses.
Burrell undertook her training contract and qualified into the Pensions department at Mayer Brown International (formerly Rowe & Maw) in 2001. She is a member of the Pensions Management Institute (DipPMI) and a full member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.