Heather Chandler is a partner within the pensions team of our Employment and Pensions department, primarily working out of the Milton Keynes office, advising employers and trustees on the legal aspects of all pensions matters relating to occupational pension schemes.
Chandler has more than 18 years’ experience in all areas of pensions law, including:
- Corporate transactions, regulatory requirements, scheme mergers, wind-ups and restructuring;
- Drafting scheme documentation including trust deeds and rules and providing ongoing advice on the day-to-day running of schemes;
- Working with employers on compliance issues and, more recently, helping employers and trustees to manage their pension schemes underfunding effectively;
- Providing advice on employment issues as they relate to pensions, including executive terminations;
- Advising on buy-in and buy-out projects covering contract drafting, confrimation as to benefit entitlements, GMP equalisation, data issues, member communication and trustee indemnity protections;
- Acting as a trustee as well as regularly attending trustee meetings as legal adviser for trustee clients;
- Advising trustees on issues of interpretation, drafting errors, proposals put forward by sponsoring employers to make changes to the scheme and the exercise of any discretions they may have and the recording of their decisions; and
- Providing trustee training.
She has recently been identified as a leader in her field of pensions by Chambers and Partners for its 2009 UK directory. She is a full member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.