Chris McClure is a partner and heads up our structured asset finance team. He has a wide range of experience in relation to structured and asset finance transactions.
He specialises in aircraft and rolling-stock transactions such as operating and finance leases (including cross-border leases) and the sale and purchase of such assets. He has acted on behalf of a number of clients in the aviation and rail sectors including banks, leasing companies, manufacturers, airlines, tour operators, train operators (passenger and freight) and air-traffic control organisations.
Examples of his work include:
- acting for one of the lead members of the consortium appointed by the Department for Transport to replace the UK’s current fleet of high-speed trains pursuant to its PFI InterCity Express Programme (the project has a reported value in excess of £4.5bn);
- acting for a rolling stock leasing company in connection with the leasing of rolling stock worth in excess of £1bn to a new franchisee;
- acting for two train operating companies in connection with the leasing of all rolling stock required to operate their franchises;
- acting for a train operating company in relation to its proposed acquisition of a fleet of additional new or refurbished vehicles (reported value of up to 180 million);
- acting for a freight operator in connection with the procurement of a fleet of new locomotives (and the related sale/leaseback);
- acting for a flag carrier in relation to the leasing and subleasing of various aircraft;
- acting for a tour operator in connection with the leasing and subleasing of various aircraft;
- acting for an air traffic control organisation in connection with the procurement of a new air traffic control system (hardware and software) and the leasing of air traffic control equipment;
- acting for a tour operator in connection with the procurement of an online reservation system; acting for a tour operator in connecting with a major outsourcing programme.
He has been recognised in the leading legal directories for his work:
Chambers UK describes him as ‘an “extremely thorough and detailed lawyer”, Chris McClure impresses clients with his “second-to-none turnaround time”. He attracts much praise for his “sensible, thorough approach and impressively detailed understanding of the marketplace”.’
McClure is singled out for his immense knowledge of the industry: ‘He’s very busy and in demand.’ Clients highlight his ‘open and relaxed manner’, adding that he is ‘an effective and well-prepared adviser and negotiator’.
(Chambers UK, A Client’s Guide to the Legal Profession)
McClure consistently ‘comes up trumps’ and ‘clients highlight Chris McClure’s “focused industry knowledge”.’