Marks & Clerk throws in with Thales’ IP dept

Patent and trademark attorneys Marks & Clerk has joined up with the IP arm of electronics group Thales to launch its first office in France.

The venture, first revealed on (2 August), is 60 per cent owned by the management team of Thales’ IP department, with Marks & Clerk owning the remaining 40 per cent. The office will be known as Marks & Clerk France and will be run by Thales’ IP vice-president Christian Nguyen Van Yen.

The 30-strong Thales team was previously responsible for the protection of the company’s IP rights before the function was outsourced. Marks & Clerk France will continue to work for Thales in addition to other clients.

Marks & Clerk chair Chris Gibson said UK patent attorneys would be seconded to France and vice-versa. “It’s going to be mutually beneficial,” he said, adding that the new office could be followed by others across Europe.