`Shari Siegel is joining the firm as of counsel, having held the same post at Simpson Thacher, and will focus on restructuring troubled companies. She specialises in troubled loans, multinational insolvencies, asset purchases, Chapter 11 (bankruptcy), mergers and acquisitions and dispositions.`She has been involved in a host of high-profile cases including acting for the debtors in the Pan Am Corporation, Spectrum Information Technology and Pegasus Gold Corporation cases, and representing the official creditors committee in the Crystal Brands case.`New York managing partner David Gordon said that the firm had to expand its team because there is an increasing amount of insolvency work around. “We’ve seen an increased demand for expertise in troubled company workouts, and increased opportunities for dealmaking in the bankruptcy courts,” he said.`The office currently has three partners doing insolvency work, but has also seen an increase in work on both the debtor and creditor side. Head of the practice Bob Rosenberg is regarded as one of the top insolvency lawyers in the US, having acted on the massive reorganisation of Continental Airlines in the 1980s.
Los Angeles firm Latham & Watkins is bulking up its insolvency practice in New York and hiring a lawyer from Simpson Thacher & Bartlett.
Job of the week
- Eight ex-Cobbetts employees referred to SDT on “incompetence” charge
- End of the road for Youle-Bagshaw double act as Skadden gets its man
- RBS rights issue battle adjourned as bank makes last-minute offer to shareholders
- Retirement exits to hit Linklaters’ slow-growth City litigation group
- A&O creates new client group in management shake-up
- Linklaters recruits from Ropes to boost restructuring team
- The sad story of Cobbetts
- Lloyds Bank in-house heavyweight Wan exits amid restructure
- Revealed: The most litigious overseas companies in 2017
- Exclusive: Winston & Strawn closes two Greater China offices
- CAT rules against Norton Rose Fulbright client in Law Society training row
- BLM loses out on revamped £500m NHS disputes panel
- Gateley posts 15% revenue boost in second year as a PLC
- RBS battle hit again as shareholder minority push for full trial
- Hogan Lovells gives trainees pay boost
- Career clinic: How can I boost my commerciality when my company won’t train me?
- Credit Suisse close to finalising global panel review
- Lawyers launch pro bono plan to help Manchester bomb victims
- VdA TMT partner is speaker at Portugal Air Summit
- Deputy High Court Judge appointed