Longstanding Travers Smith corporate partner Oliver Barnes has retired. Barnes was a former head of the corporate practice and recently sat on the firm’s LLP conversion committee.
Move of the week
Berwin Leighton Paisner has hired Jayne Black and Eleanor Hunwicks (pictured) as City finance partners. Prior to their appointments both worked at the London office of Katten Muchin Rosenman Cornish, where they were partners.
Hunwicks said: “As the majority of my work is linked to real estate, I’m particularly pleased to be working with the market leader. The international preferred firm strategy and wide global reach will also allow us to serve clients in a range of different locations.”
• Longstanding Travers Smith corporate partner Oliver Barnes has retired. Barnes was a former head of the corporate practice and recently sat on the firm’s LLP conversion committee.
• Withers has hired defamation expert Amber Melville-Brown as of counsel in the media and culture team. She moves from David Price Solicitors & Advocates and was previously a partner at Schillings.
• Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom has appointed partner Gary DiBianco as leader of the corporate investigations practice in Europe. He will relocate from Washington DC to London.
• Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer has appointed Paul Domnick as global chief information officer. He was previously group chief technology officer and deputy head of IT for Zurich Financial Services.
• Bindmans partner Shah Qureshi has been appointed as the firm’s head of employment. He replaces Alison Downie, who headed the group for two years.
• Winckworth Sherwood partner Aiden Hargreaves-Smith has been appointed as the Bishop of Gibraltar’s legal secretary and registrar of the Diocese of Europe. The Church of England is one of Winckworth’s largest clients.
• Penningtons has recruited immigration partner Nichola Carter from Gherson, where she was also a partner.
• Music lawyer Robert Allan has left Mayer Brown, where he was a partner, to join Michael Simkins in the same capacity.
• Covington & Burling has hired former White & Case partner Stephen Bond. He joins as senior of counsel in the arbitration practice.
• Worcester-based Harrison Clark has appointed Jane Harrison-Pike to the newly created role of marketing manager. She joins from Bevan Brittan, where she was business development manager.
• The Norwich office of Birketts has boosted its private client practice with the hires of associate Ginny Colman and legal executive Debbie Lloyd from Kester Cunningham John.
• Bridge McFarland has appointed John Arnold as a consultant from Andrew & Co, where he
was a partner. He will bolster the Lincoln private client team.
• Property partner Jane Longhorn has been appointed as the head of residential conveyancing at Hull law firm Williamsons Solicitors.
• Paul Wright has retired from Coventry firm Band Hatton. He had been practice partner since 2001 and will be replaced in the role by Mark Moseley, formerly of Hall Smith Whittingham.
• Former Sintons Solicitors secretary Julie Fish has qualified as a lawyer at the Newcastle-based firm. She joins the personal injury team.
• DLA Piper has boosted its Scottish restructuring team with the arrival this month of partner Yvonne Brady, who agreed to move from Dundas & Wilson in September last year.
• SJ Berwin has recruited the former head of real estate at DLA Piper’s Madrid office. Enrique Isla joins the Spanish property practice as a partner.
• Former Lovells partner Jean-Norbert Pontier has been taken on by Nixon Peabody in Paris. He joins as a partner in the finance practice.
• Salans’ Paris office has taken on an international counsel and an associate from Debevoise & Plimpton. Barton Legum joins as head of the investment treaty arbitration practice, along with associate Anne-Sophie Dufetre.
• Nörr Stiefenhofer Lutz promoted four new equity partners: Andreas Butz in Düsseldorf (employment), Ilja Ratschkov in Moscow (corporate), Oliver Schließer in Munich (international accountancy) and Christiane Zedelius in Munchen (competition).
• Alexey Kondratchik has rejoined Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld as a corporate partner in Moscow. He was previously at White & Case.
• Dewey & LeBoeuf has taken on Andreas Mauroschat as a partner in the Frankfurt employment group. He was previously with Weil Gotshal & Manges.
• DLA Piper has hired real estate partner Davide Apollo and a three-associate team from Apollo & Associati. They will be based in the firm’s Milan office.
Asia and Middle east
• Clayton Utz has reappointed Shaun Gallagher as a senior associate in the construction practice in Brisbane following his two years at Clifford Chance.
• Herbert Smith dispute resolution partner Nicholas Peacock is to relocate to the Singapore office at the end of January.
• Former Heller Ehrman partner Henry Liu has joined Nixon Peabody to lead its China practice.
• Clyde & Co has recruited John Woods to the New York insurance and reinsurance practice.
He joins from Thacher Proffitt & Wood.
• Paul Weiss litigation partner Jeh Charles Johnson has been selected by President Barack Obama as general counsel of the US Department of Defence.
• Richard Schiffrin, a former name partner at Schiffrin Barroway Topaz & Kessler, has moved to Grant & Eisenhofer in New York. He joins as counsel.
• Broderick Johnson has been elected as a partner at Bryan Cave in Washington DC. He was previously counsel in the public policy and government affairs group.
• Carter Ledyard & Milburn has promoted Peter Flagel to counsel in the New York corporate practice.
• Allen & Overy has recruited senior counsel David Horner in the projects, energy and infrastructure practice in New York. He joins
from the US Department of Transportation.
• Pillsbury has hired two former Greenberg Traurig litigators in Washington DC as partners.
• Norman Leventhal has joined Holland & Knight in Washington DC as a partner in the communications group. He is a former founding partner of Leventhal Senter & Lerman.
• Former O’Melveny & Myers co-head of restructuring Michael Sage has joined Dechert as a partner.
Contributions to the Moves Roundup are welcomed – to submit one click here.