`Bell has acted for Uefa for many years and has been tempted to Olswang by what he calls “a more broad-based media practice”.`Lisbeth Savill, head of the media and communications group, which encompasses the competition department, said Bell would aid the increasing sports-based workload Olswang is taking on as a development from its broadcasting side.`”Bell will complement and support our strengths, adding another string to our bow and enhancing the team,” Savill said.`He will become the eleventh partner in Savill’s department and only the second competition partner, joining head of competition Howard Cartlidge.`Bell joined the London office of White & Case in November 1998. Before then he had been working in Brussels, originally for Forrester Norall & Sutton which merged with White & Case in January 1998. He would not be drawn on whether other clients or staff would join him. Bell intends to help develop Olswang’s EU and UK competition law practice and its sports practice.`”The fit between my practice area and Olswang’s is very strong,” said Bell. “Olswang deals with all the issues I’m involved with from the angle of sports broadcasting. I was looking at a few firms but Olswang’s profile and practice area in media work generally fitted my own the best.`”The firm has recently established an office in Brussels, showing that it is well aware of EU and competition law issues.”`Bell advised Uefa in the landmark Bosman player transfer case, the sale of media rights for the Champions League, rules on multi-ownership of clubs and ticketing for Euro 2000 and the 2002 World Cup.`White & Case was unavailable for comment.
Olswang has scored a major coup by adding European football governing body Uefa to its client base as White & Case partner Alasdair Bell joins the firm today (11 June).
Job of the week
- Clifford Chance and Linklaters win key roles on £500m Blackstone deal
- Why AI will eat the law
- Raft of firms advise on $13.7bn Amazon Whole Foods takeover
- Raft of litigation heavyweights on call as SFO charges Barclays with fraud
- Osborne Clarke wins first spot on £50m rail panel
- Clifford Chance boosts New York office with two partner hires
- Morgan Lewis swaps Singapore managing partner after family feud
- Growth hits five-year high at Asia’s largest law firms
- Boies Schiller settles biggest case since London launch
- Ashurst real estate duo exits for Fried Frank
- Best in Class roundtable: culture takes time
- DLA Piper trials open plan “exhibition space” ahead of office move
- Totum’s Tim Skipper: Are robots the answer to the next 20 years?
- Unicase advises on Kazakhstan Big Almaty ring road project
- ‘New financing problems’ conference, Lisbon
- Schoenherr advises IULIUS on Romania JV
- Khaitan advises Tasteria on franchising deal
- Khaitan advises Radius Sumer on issuance
- Khaitan advises UnicCredit on credit facilities
- Khaitan advises Grant Thornton on $4.5m borrowing