This week saw the publication of The Lawyer European 100 2015, the only annual ranking of independent firms across Continental Europe by turnover figures.
The headline numbers were positive this year. Combined revenue of the top 100 increased by 5 per cent to €8.6bn. France’s Fidal became the Continent’s largest independent firm by both turnover and headcount, after a 7.7 per cent rise in revenue saw it overtake Iberian firm Garrigues.
Garrigues also had a pretty good year with revenues rising in its first year of reporting turnover on a calendar year basis.
Also on TheLawyer.com:
- Reed Smith has picked up a team of seven partners from rival international firms to launch in Frankfurt, its second office in Germany
- Bird & Bird has announced that it has applied to the Luxembourg bar for approval to launch in the Grand Duchy, its 28th office worldwide
- Pan-Baltic firms LAWIN and Raidla Lejins & Norcous have both split up, with the two reforming to establish new alliances spanning the region
- Covington & Burling, Latham & Watkins, Mayer Brown and French firm Franklin are among the firms advising in Altice’s acquisition of US rival Suddenlink, in a deal valued at $9.1bn
- And all the latest partner hires and other appointments within Continental European firms and offices in our regular European moves round-up
|B P Collins – EU exit would hamper employer influence|
|Eversheds – Q&A on funds directive updated|
|Walker Morris – Live streaming of sporting fixtures over the internet and copyright|
|Karanovic & Nikolic – The gas pipeline the Cold War and the Black Sea|
|Schoenherr – Aarhus Convention on the environment – infringement procedure against Austria|