Collyer Bristow’s Nathan Donaldson, a partner in the employment team and also an experienced governor of Ravensbourne — a college specialising in digital media and design — has provided governor appeals training to ensure that the executive of Ravensbourne had sufficient governors to call upon to hear any future grievance or disciplinary appeals.
Using an interactive presentation and an education sector case study format, the training demonstrated the practical application of the training and increased governor confidence when handling appeals.
The training covered:
- Understanding the ACAS Codes of Practice
- Choosing appropriate personnel to deal with each stage of the appeal process
- Guidance on investigating an appeal
- Conducting the appeal hearing itself
- Possible outcomes including a range of disciplinary sanctions and practical solutions in response to employees’ grievances
- How to utilise the appeal process to resolve any disputes and/or ensure that you are in the best position to defend any litigation arising out of the process
- Common pitfalls and best practice