The Lawyer Asia Pacific 150 is the only research report to provide a ranking of the top 100 independent local firms and top 50 global firms in the region. The report offers critical review of some of the fastest growing firms and their strategies, a country-by-country guide to leading legal advisers and legal services market trends, plus exclusive insight into the current business development opportunities in the Asia Pacific. Read more
This year, The Lawyer’s annual ranking of the largest UK law firms by turnover is available as an interactive, digital benchmarking tool. For the first time this will allow you to manipulate each data set against the metrics of your choice.
Rising private equity star Jonathan Wood is leading on his biggest deal since joining Weil Gotshal & Manges from Lovells last year.
Wood, who joined Weil with Marco Compagnoni from Lovells in February 2006, is advising on the A$1.87bn (£740m) takeover of APN News & Media.
Wood is leading the team advising affiliated private equity groups Carlyle Group and Providence Equity Partners.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer is acting for Independent News & Media (INM), the third member of the bidding consortium. London-based partners David Sonter and Edward Braham are leading the Freshfields team. Australian firm Allens Arthur Robinson is advising the bidders on the corporate aspects of the transaction, led by partner Ian McGill. Corrs Chambers Westgarth is acting on all other Australian matters. The team at Corrs is headed by partner Richard Lewis.
Blake Dawson Waldron is advising APN, led by partner Phillip Maxwell.
INM already owns 42 per cent of APN. The deal was agreed after the bidders raised their offer for the remaining 58 per cent by 5c (2p) a share to A$6.10 (£2.42). Key to the success of the deal are major shareholders Perpetual and Maple-Brown Abbott, which control a combined stake of nearly 23 per cent of the company.
Although the board has recommended the offer, it has been made through a scheme of arrangement and is still subject to shareholder approval.
APN publishes 23 daily and more than 100 non-daily newspapers across Australia and New Zealand and is also the largest radio broadcaster in Australia.