With your exams out of the way and the mercury reaching record levels (well almost) it can only mean one thing – school’s out and summer’s finally arrived.
But before you don your bikini and sun hat there’s one last item to tick off your itinerary – summer vacation schemes. If you’re lucky enough to have secured one or indeed several then follow these simple tips to make sure you shine during your placement:
· Tackle every task, however mundane, with enthusiasm and to the best of your ability.
· Get involved in the office as well as the social events.
· Don’t act smug - no one is ever impressed with the student who boasts about how many other vacation placements they’ve secured.
· Ask lots of questions and show a willingness to learn.
· Be yourself.
· Be proactive - if you don’t have enough to do then tell someone.
· Always carry a pen and notepad.
· If you don’t understand instructions ask your supervisor to go through them again.
· Be punctual and do not go in with a hangover.
· Don’t race out of the door at 5.30pm every day.
· Dress appropriately - stick to business attire.
· Although vacation schemes are essentially a two-week interview you’re not on The Apprentice so don’t be overly competitive.
· Watch your behaviour on social outings - don’t get too drunk and definitely avoid pulling your fellow schemers, members of the graduate recruitment team or trainees.
· Do not assume that people in HR (or any other support service) are stupid.
· Do not make carping remarks about the ‘quality’ of the food, venue or wine you’re being treated to.
· Don’t send personal emails or make too many personal phonecalls and avoid Facebook or any other social networking site.
· Don’t use your mobile phone or iPod while sitting with your supervisor.
· Don’t end your email with ‘love and kisses’ - sign off using ‘kind regards’ and always remember to say thank you.
· Remember to mention Lawyer 2B because that’s where you got all these top tips from.