With a group that includes a former US secretary of commerce, two former US trade representatives, and a former EU ambassador to the US, the international trade practice helps open markets and resolve trade disputes.
Several of our lawyers are internationally recognised for client representation in trade remedy proceedings, customs disputes and market access controversies. They include a former US secretary of commerce and two former US trade representatives, a former European Union Ambassador to the US, a former member of the US Congress, as well as former senior US trade negotiators and senior trade officials. Such credentials give us the kind of credibility with senior government officials that can help clients open markets, comply with trade laws and resolve trade disputes.
Mayer Brown’s international trade lawyers and professionals in Washington, Brussels, Bangkok, Hanoi and Beijing are supported by lawyers and professionals in major business centres worldwide. That means we can help our clients understand trade policy and comply with trade laws in order to capitalise on opportunities and overcome market barriers in nearly every country.
Mayer Brown’s international trade group has in-depth knowledge and vast experience with virtually every aspect of international trade and investment, including:
Market access and trade policy
- Multilateral and bilateral trade agreements
- Preferential trade regimes
- Customs compliance
- Export control and sanctions programmes
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and anti-corruption laws
- National security restrictions on investment
International litigation and dispute settlement
ITC Section 337 investigations
World Trade Organization
- WTO dispute settlement
- Market access and strategic counselling
- Trade negotiations and WTO accession
Practice at a glance
- Our lawyers have been involved in negotiating almost every major trade agreement and initiative over the past 25 years
- ‘Because of great expertise, a broad outlook and a team not limited to purely legal issues, you get first-class, unified solutions from this firm.’ — ranked as one of the top seven international trade firms in Brussels by Chambers Global in 2009, 2010 and 2011
- ‘A formidable global team in the trade arena…’ — ranked as one of the top 12 international trade firms globally by Chambers Global in 2009, 2010 and 2011
- Ranked Tier 1 in the US and Washington DC in the 2011 ‘Best Lawyers Rankings’ by US News/Best Lawyers
- Three partners named to the 2010 Guide to the World’s Leading International Trade Lawyers
- ‘Mayer Brown is seen as a premier market access firm and tackles such issues in the financial services field, particularly those relating to China.’ — Chambers Global 2009
- Awarded ‘Trade Law Firm of the Year’ by the 2008 Belgian Legal Awards
For more information on international trade click here.
News from The Lawyer
Analysis from The Lawyer
Lawyer 2B looks at the varied forms of apprenticeships in the legal market, and asks whether they are really the answer to the future of legal education.
Earlier this year Clyde & Co revealed a 33 per cent climb in corporate revenue, from £53m to £70.7m.