10 December 2007
Move of the week
• Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer has promoted Richard Parsons and Andrew Heathcote to counsel in its structured and asset finance practice.
• Berwin Leighton Paisner has hired Jonathan Levy as a partner and Andrew Watters as a director in its contentious tax practice. They formerly headed specialist tax consultancy LevyWatters.
• Martineau Johnson has hired a partner into its banking team. David Doogan joins from HBJ Gateley Wareing.
• CMS Cameron McKenna has promoted Yevgeny Voevodin to partner level in the Moscow competition group.
• Bermuda firm Cox Hallett Wilkinson has hired senior associate Richard Williams into the litigation department from Rosling King Solicitors in London. Associate Daniella Skotnicki also joins the corporate group from Mallesons Stephen Jaques in Melbourne, Australia. Associate Kate Olszewski also joins the private client and real estate team from Bond Pearce in Southampton.
• Memery Crystal has recruited Michelle Hinde-Smith as an associate in its corporate and media group. She joins from Formula One Management, where she was an in-house commercial lawyer.
• Kitson Hutchings Solicitors has appointed chartered accountant Phil Stocker as the firm's chief executive, replacing the retired John Long. Partners Andrew Perkins and James Cross have also been appointed as joint managing partners.
• Southampton law firm Paris Smith & Randall has bolstered its tax and estate planning team with two hires. Assistant Darren Price joins from Dorset lawyers Ellis Jones and Matthew Flaherty joins as a trust administrator from HSBC.
• Howes Percival has appointed Gareth Lamb as an assistant in the Norwich commercial litigation team. He joins from Norwich firm Steeles Law.
• Specialist real estate firm BrookStreet des Roches has hired Tom Howell as a partner. He was previously head of the commercial property group at Clarkslegal. Rebecca Ebdon also joins as a professional support lawyer from the College of Law.
• Nottingham-based firm Berryman has promoted insolvency and recovery lawyer Carl Mifflin and commercial property lawyer Nick Wilson to associate level.
• Swindon firm Lemon&Co has promoted Ian Tomlinson to associate level in its private law and residential property group. Gareth Horner has also been hired into the wills trusts and probate team as an assistant from Kent firm dgb Solicitors, where he completed his training contract.
• Colchester-based Amicus Legal has recruited Roger Shacklock as operations manager from Capita Insurance Services, where he was head of claims operations and medical helplines.
• US firm Steptoe & Johnson has promoted 11 lawyers. In Washington DC, Thomas Contois, Jonathan Drimmer and Aaron Nocjar have been made up to the partnership. The office has also promoted special counsel Sean Griffin, Andrew Irwin and Seth Watkins to of counsel level. Brooke Gaede has also been promoted from associate to special counsel. In Phoenix, Kevin Hunter has been made a partner and three associates have been promoted to of counsel - Randal Evans, Alan Bayless Feldman and Thomas Stanek.
• US firm Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll has hired former Baker Hostetler partners Gary York and Lydia Wu. They join the Los Angeles office as partners in the real estate department.