26 October 2009
18 November 2013
10 March 2014
20 September 2013
7 April 2014
19 March 2014
Herbert Smith has recruited Allen & Overy (A&O) partner Robert Hunter (pictured) to its partnership. Hunter, who is head of the trust, asset tracing and fraud group at A&O, has been a partner with the magic circle firm since 1990.
Move of the week
He is also a solicitor-advocate. Herbert Smith’s global disputes head Sonya Leydecker said: “Attracting a litigator of the calibre of Robert is a testament to the market standing of our specialist fraud expertise. It also reflects the quality and profile of our contentious trusts and private wealth capability. “
- Fladgate has hired property partner James Fry, who joins from Finers Stephens Innocent, where he headed the firm’s hotels group. Fry specialises in the hotel, leisure and retail sectors.
- Capsticks has appointed Kelvin Cheatle as a consultant. Cheatle is the current president of the Healthcare People Management Association and former director of workforce at West London Mental Health Trust. He will assist the development of the firm’s offering to mental health and social care bodies.
Cripps Harries Hall has appointed Iain McCusker as non-executive director. McCusker is the former managing director of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.
- BPE Solicitors has promoted two senior solicitors to its partnership. Lisa Norman has been promoted into the employment team and Richard Spencer has been promoted into the property department. Personal injury solicitor Ann-Marie Whelan has been promoted to associate within the firm’s personal injury department.
- Clarke Willmott has hired solicitor-advocate Francesca Massarella to join its family group. Massarella, who was previously at Paris Smith Solicitors, is experienced in child law.
- Hampshire-based Moore Blatch has promoted Simon Arthur to its partnership. Simon has particular knowledge of the specialist care and IT sectors.
- Nexus Solicitors has appointed Jessica Enderby to its Manchester office as head of non-contentious IP. Enderby, who originally trained at Shoosmiths in Nottingham, has spent the past six years working in-house at Molson Coors.
- Boote Edgar Esterkin has promoted three associates to partner level. Marc Yaffe and Susan Kemball are now litigation partners, while Warren Martin is a partner and head of property and real estate.
- Norwegian law firm Haavind has appointed Inger Marit Borch as head of its restructuring and insolvency practice. Borch has joined Haavind from Ræder, where she was head of
- the insolvency department.
Asia and Middle east
- Former managing partner of Linklaters in Tokyo, Tony Grundy Morrison, has joined Morrison & Foerster as a capital markets partner in Tokyo.
- Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft has appointed Adele Hogan for its corporate department in New York. Hogan recently
- served as chair of the Securities Regulation Committee as well as chair of the Financial Reporting Committee of the New York
- Reed Smith has announced the addition of two maritime partners in its global shipping group. Jonathan Benner and Matthew Thomas have joined the firm’s Washington DC office. Benner was formerly the practice group leader of Troutman Sanders’ transportation group in Washington DC, while Thomas was an of counsel in the same group.
- The Los Angeles office of K&L Gates has welcomed Michael Lubic as a partner in its bankruptcy and insolvency department. Lubic joins from Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, where he was a partner.
- Appleby has hired Alexander Last as a lawyer in its Jersey funds and investment services team. He was previously general counsel at Leebrook Global Investments.
- The Chartered Institute of Taxation and The Association of Taxation Technicians have appointed Des Hudson as chair of the taxation disciplinary board. Hudson is the chief executive of The Law Society of England and Wales.