31 August 2009
24 June 2014
18 August 2014
Hotels and leisure update — April 2014: top 10 employment law issues affecting the hospitality sector in 2014
13 May 2014
12 November 2013
7 July 2014
Osborne Clarke is set to strengthen its banking and finance disputes practice with the hire of partner Ed Crosse from Clifford Chance.
Move of the week
Peter Clough, head of Osborne Clarke’s disputes practice, said: “We believe the market for litigation and disputes services in the sector will be very busy over the next few years.” Crosse was an associate at Clifford Chance.
- Herbert Smith litigation partner Christa Band has joined Linklaters as a partner working under London head of litigation Michael Bennett.
- Wedlake Bell has promoted new partners in its annual promotions round. They are: Tom Allfree in residential property, Fay Copeland in private client, Christoff Pianaar in commercial, IT and IP, and Julian Yew in employment.
- McGrigors has hired three tax specialists from accountants Tenon Group. Phil Berwick joins as a director, Paul Williams becomes a manager and Jessica Maude an assistant manager.
- Clyde & Co’s insurance group has expanded its energy team with the appointment of partner Sarah Sharp. She was formerly an associate in the marine energy and trade group at Barlow Lyde & Gilbert.
- Prettys has promoted Laura Veal to associate and head of residential property.
- Southampton firm Moore Blatch has appointed its chief executive John Davies as a non-legal equity partner.
- Colemans-ctts has promoted senior associate Lorna Valcin to partner in the Kingston-Upon-Thames office. She heads both the employment and immigration teams at the firm.
- Surrey firm Downs Solicitors has taken on former Law Society president Paul Marsh as a consultant in its property department. The firm has also hired property partner Susan Scott from Mundays, corporate associate Simon Porter from Morrisons and property associate Richard Taylor from Penningtons.
- Hammonds has boosted its Birmingham office with the arrival of dispute resolution partner Simon Garbett from Pinsents Masons and the promotion to partner of corporate lawyer Christian Lowis.
- Beswicks Solicitors has recruited Hammonds partner Stephen Taylor, who joins the litigation team.
- Derek Sands, partner at Rowlands Solicitors, is set to retire after four decades at the firm. He worked in the corporate department and is a life member of the Manchester Law Society.
- Rotherham firm Oxley & Coward Solicitors has appointed Ruksana Ellahi to assistant solicitor in the wills and probate practice. Prior to this she completed a training contract with Hellewell Pasley & Brewer.
- Chester and Manchester firm Aaron & Partners has promoted employment specialist Claire Brook to partner, as well as raising employment lawyer Helen Kidd and litigator Adam Kerr to associate level.
- Property boutique Bell & Scott has promoted Anne McGregor to partner. She joined from DLA Piper in December 2008.
- Linklaters has appointed Per Nyberg as its new Stockholm managing partner, with effect from September 2009. Per replaces Peter Högström, who is returning to full-time client work.
- Lukowicz Swierzewski & Partners has appointed Clifford Chance banking partner Adrian Krzyzanowski as its new managing partner in Poland.
- Germany-based Allen & Overy partner Mark Hoenike has been recruited by Taylor Wessing in Hamburg. He joins the M&A practice as a partner.
ASIA AND MIDDLE EAST
- Akin Gump partner Bob Griffin has moved from London to Abu Dhabi to launch a funds practice in the Middle East.
- Herbert Smith dispute resolution partner Stuart Paterson has relocated from London to the United Arab Emirates.
US AND SOUTH AMERICA
- Paul Weiss Rifkind Wharton & Garrison’s New York office has taken on Stephen Lamb, who has served as a vice chancellor of the Delaware Court of Chancery since 1997. He joins the firm as a partner in the corporate and litigation departments.
- Jones Day has hired banking and finance partner Joel Telpner from Mayer Brown in New York.
- McKee Nelson partners Keith Krasney and Peter Morreale have joined Nixon Peabody as finance partners. They will be based in New York and Washington DC respectively.
- Chadbourne & Parke has promoted four new partners. In New York: Eli Katz in tax, John Kheit in IP, and Philip Pfeffer in litigation; and in Washington DC: Marissa Leigh Alcala in project finance.
- Linklaters energy and infrastructure associate Chris Willott has relocated from London to the firm’s São Paulo office.
- K&L Gates has hired Stephen Crimmins as a partner in the firm’s securities enforcement practice in Washington DC. Crimmins joins K&L Gates from Mayer Brown.
- Ogier has appointed associate Marina Kozlova as a member of its Russia and CIS practice based in Jersey. Kozlova joins Ogier from Harney Westwood & Riegels’ British Virgin Islands office.
- Mourant du Feu & Jeune attorney Sonia Bush has been admitted to the Cayman Bar. She is a member of the firm’s litigation practice in Cayman and also works across trust and commercial disputes, property, intellectual and probate issues.
- Ogier has hired Gareth Thomas as managing director of Ogier Fiduciary Services. He was previously with Codan Trust Company, where he was general manager.
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer competition associate Nicholas Gibson has left the firm to become a member of Matrix Chambers. Rachel Logan and Adam Sandell have completed traineeships and become full members of Matrix.
- Lawrence Graham head of private capital Andrew Young has moved to Opus Group, a fiduciary business in Guernsey, as an executive director.