Owen Carew-Jones specialises in charity, property, ecclesiastical, employment and education law. He acts for a wide range of charities, particularly in the education, housing and ecclesiastical sectors. He provides strategic, constitutional, employment and property and charity law advice. He has frequent dealings with the Charity Commission and other regulatory bodies.
He is also registrar for the Diocese of Rochester, legal adviser to the Bishop of Rochester and solicitor for St Paul’s Cathedral.
- Advising RSLs on non-contentious employment issues including the implications of Schedule 1, compromise agreements, contracts of employment, policies and procedures, discrimination issues and TUPE matters
- Advising national and local charities on the full range of employment issues including those arising on the merging of two or more charities as well as constitutional and governance matters
- Acting for trustees and governing bodies of three schools where development projects have been undertaken involving a total rebuild of the school on a self-financing basis, granting long residential leases to the developer of parts of the site
- Acting for the London Borough of Hackney, the London Borough of Southwark and the London Borough of Lambeth in connection with the provision of general educational legal advice
- Acting for individual governing bodies and commercial providers of educational advice to schools on the full range of legal issues affecting schools in the maintained sector, including employment and charity matters
News from Winckworth Sherwood
News from The Lawyer
Briefings from Winckworth Sherwood
James Lynas, a partner at Winckworth Sherwood specialising in education employment law, highlights easily avoidable human resources errors that can cost schools dear.
Name or shame: complying with the name and charitable status provisions of the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014
This note focuses on two key provisions of the Act which deal with the requirement to display the name and charitable status of registered societies.