On the move
10 January 2011
29 August 2013
23 September 2013
29 August 2013
18 April 2013
4 October 2013
Stephenson Harwood has strengthened its Hong Kong investment funds practice with the hire of Ropes & Gray partner Michael Guilday as a foreign legal consultant. Guilday joined the Hong Kong office of the US firm in 2009.
Move of the week
He was previously counsel at Linklaters, where he also held the position of Asian investment management chief. Guilday said: ”Stephenson Harwood has a well-regarded investment funds team in London and in the past the firm’s funds practice in Hong Kong has been held in high esteem.” The hire follows Stephensons’ reappointment of Paul Westover as a partner in the Hong Kong financial services practice last year. Westover rejoined from Tanner de Witt, where he was a partner.
- Pitmans has promoted IP specialist Sally Britton to the position of director. Britton, who was a brand manager for Heinz and Budweiser before entering the law, lists pop band The Ting Tings among her clients.
- Reynolds Porter Chamberlain real estate partner Mark Lavers has joined Sprecher Grier Halberstam as a partner in its commercial property arm.
- Employment law specialist Gannons has hired Jo Plumstead as a partner and head of business development. Plumstead joins from FL Memo, where she was a legal writer/editor, having previously been an assistant at Mills & Reeve.
- Clarke Willmott partner Kathy Toon has joined the Birmingham office of Martineau as a partner in its real estate practice. She has spent 14 years working in the sector in Birmingham and was previously national head of retail at DLA Piper.
- Newcastle firm Muckle has hired Watson Burton wealth protection head Keith Hately as a partner to lead its private client team. Hately has worked in the North East for more than 20 years and is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
- Harrison Drury has appointed Sarah Cheetham as a trainee solicitor in its Preston office. The University of Central Lancashire graduate will qualify in 2012.
- Norton Rose has hired DLA Piper IP/IT partner Marc d’Haultfoeuille as a partner in its Paris corporate finance team. Senior associate Nadège Martin has also joined from DLA Piper.
- Herbert Smith has bulked up its Paris office with M&A of counsel Edouard Thomas from Sullivan & Cromwell, where he was an associate.
Asia and Middle East
- Clifford Chance has hired Patrick Zheng as a partner in its Chinese litigation and dispute resolution team. Before private practice Zheng was deputy director of legal at the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade. He subsequently established the Beijing arbitration practices for Squire Sanders Hammonds legacy firm Hammonds and Herbert Smith.
- Norton Rose has continued to beef up its Asian offices with a pair of partner-level appointments. Ashurst partner Ashley Wright has joined in Singapore to lead the Asia-Pacific oil and gas team, while Clifford Chance consultant Charlotte Robins has become a partner in the Hong Kong corporate group.
- Vinson & Elkins has recruited Amar Meher as a senior associate in its Dubai finance team. Meher joins from Allen & Overy, where he worked as an associate in both its London and Dubai offices.
US and the Americas
- Goodwin Procter New York corporate chief Kevin Sheridan has joined Bingham McCutchen as a partner in its New York-based investment management, corporate, M&A and securities group.
- King & Spalding has hired Weil Gotshal & Manges international arbitration and trade group co-head Guillermo Aguilar-Alvarez. He joins as a partner in King & Spalding’s New York arbitration practice.
- Brazilian firm Siqueira Castro Advogados has promoted four associates to partner across three of its offices. The two new partners in Rio de Janeiro are Adriana Campos Conrado Zamponi (litigation and arbitration) and Fábio Korenblum (litigation and consumer law). In Recife, Flávio Luis dos Reis Pires (labour and social security law) has been promoted, while in Porto Alegre, Marcelo Angeli (litigation and arbitration) has also been made a partner.