The Lawyer Global Litigation Top 50 report is the only ranking of international law firms by litigation and arbitration revenue and is essential reading for anyone seeking to benchmark their litigation and dispute resolution practices...
This year, The Lawyer’s annual ranking of the largest UK law firms by turnover is available as an interactive, digital benchmarking tool. For the first time this will allow you to manipulate each data set against the metrics of your choice.
In September this year The Lawyer devoted an entire issue to futurology. What would the legal profession look like in 2020? We made specific predictions around UK market consolidation and law firm collapses, a radical change in resourcing structures and growing demands from in-house lawyers. It was one of our most successful editions of the year and generated hordes of comments and views of our video interviews with DLA Piper’s Tony Angel and Allen & Overy’s David Morley.
Let’s take a look at some of the stats from 2013:
- 48 UK firms were involved in mergers.
- Of those mergers, two involved distressed assets.
- Four firms collapsed: Challinors, Cobbetts, Follett Stock and Harris Cartier.
- Of the 48 mergers, not one was a merger of equals.
- Four US firms launched in London: Andrews Kurth, Boies Schiller, Bracewell & Giuliani and Butler Snow.
- Four firms in the top 50 of The Lawyer UK 200 replenished their capital structure via cash-calls: DAC Beachcroft, Herbert Smith Freehills, Hill Dickinson and Withers.