Insolvency and restructuring
Our insolvency and restructuring practice draws together banking, corporate, insolvency, investment funds, litigation, regulatory and restructuring expertise from the BVI, Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey. We deploy carefully integrated, multi-disciplinary teams to work closely with leading professionals in the US, the UK and elsewhere.
Mourant Ozannes plays a leading role in the largest and most high profile insolvency-related cases in the BVI, Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey, usually cross-border in practice requiring rapid and efficient co-ordinated advice. We advise on all aspects of complex corporate restructurings, providing pragmatic and workable solutions for our clients.
Our clients include major financial institutions, trust companies, UK/US law and accountancy practices, regulatory and public bodies as well as high net worth individuals.
For more information on insolvency and restructuring click here.
We have advised on:
- Significant Cayman liquidations, including Peloton, SPhinX, Trade and Commerce Bank, Bear Stearns, Parmalat and Weavering
- Enforcing offshore security, including over shares and units
- Offshore obligors in default scenarios, including breach of LTV covenants
- Offshore regulatory breaches on a change of control following merger or takeover, and how to avoid them
- Restructuring note programmes, including some involving Lehman
- Transactions connected with the Whistlejacket SIV
- A distressed CMBS transaction, advising in Jersey and the Cayman Islands
- Unitholder activism in property unit trusts
- Distressed funds, including redemption suspension, de-registration, restructuring, winding-up, maximising investor returns and cross-border insolvency and asset recovery
- Advising directors on their duties and on regulatory and compliance matters
- Restructuring a £1bn credit fund
- Restructuring a synthetic CDO
- Historic ‘rescue’ securitisations to take-out bank debt
- Corporate restructuring of a major international power supplier, involving the use of Jersey preference shares
- A creditors’ scheme of arrangement
- Advising on the appointment/removal of liquidators
- Employment implications of insolvency, for trading companies.
News from Mourant Ozannes
Briefings from Mourant Ozannes
The Jersey Financial Services Commission has confirmed its position in relation to the licensing of Jersey law LLPs to conduct certain classes of ‘fund services business’.
Norwich Pharmacal relief — obtaining information relating to a BVI company from its registered agent
This briefing note deals with the circumstances in which and methods by which non-public information about a BVI company can be obtained by a third party.