Moves roundup: 25 November 2008
25 November 2008
3 December 2013
23 September 2013
20 February 2014
6 February 2014
9 December 2013
Move of the week
DLA Piper UK has hired Andrij Jurkiw as a partner in its London regulatory and litigation practice. He has left Burges Salmon, where he was a partner, to take up the role. Jurkiw, who specialises in dawn raids, Office of Fair Trading investigations and competition inquiries, said: “Developments in competition law have rarely been so fast-paced and challenging – both at national and international levels.”
• Washington-headquartered Hogan & Hartson has recruited corporate lawyer Philip Watkins from Latham & Watkins’ London office. He joins as a partner.
• Marc Sosnow has joined Teacher Stern as a corporate partner. Sosnow was previously a senior corporate associate at SJ Berwin.
• Taylor Wessing has appointed Len Murray as a partner in the IT, telecoms and competition group. He was formerly a senior associate at Baker & McKenzie.
• Silverman Sherliker has hired assistants Shane Morris and Stefan Arestis in the corporate and litigation groups respectively. Morris completed a training contract at DWFM Beckman while Arestis trained at Bevan Kidwell.
• Cardiff-based firm Capital Law has recruited employment partner Malcolm Mason from Eversheds, where he was international counsel. He joins the employment team in London.
• Thring Townsend has added three partners in London. Family law partner Loraine Jones relocates from the South West, corporate partner Kevin McGuiness previously ran his own firm Sabretooth, and property partner Richard Fidler arrives from Maxwell Winward.
• Russell Jones & Walker has promoted Paul Sankey to partner in the London personal injury group. He has been at the firm for seven years.
• Brachers Law has promoted two new partners, Paul Dungate in corporate and Maria Passemard in employment.
• Trainee Laura Eaves has qualified as a solicitor at Lodders. She joins the private client team.
• Surrey-based Mundays has hired family law associate Miranda Green from Irwin Mitchell.
• Dorset’s Humphries Kirk has hired associate Julie Richards for its Dorchester private client team. She was previously a partner at RWPS.
Midlands & WALES
• Former Eversheds business tax head Philip Harrison has joined Meridian Private Client as
• Freeth Cartwright in Birmingham has hired chartered town planner Phil Rawle as senior planning manager from consultancy RPS, while real estate associate Jagdeep Parmar has transferred from Freeth Cartwright’s Nottingham office.
• Leeds and Bradford firm Gordons has hired two solicitors from local rival Walker Morris. Newly-qualified Katie Simmonds (above) will work in the commercial property group while associate Michael Cantwell joins the corporate team.
• Yorkshire firm Keeble Hawson has appointed Paul Trudgill as its new managing partner, replacing 30-year incumbent Tony Gregory.
• Berrymans Lace Mawer has appointed Sarah Elderton as a professional negligence partner in Manchester. She joins from Robin Simon.
• Liverpool-based Breens has taken on wills, probate, trusts and estates assistant Sarah Charnley. She joins from Hodge Halsall.
• Berg Legal has taken on a new corporate finance associate. Russell Bateman joins from Hall Smith Whittingham in South Cheshire.
• Tanfield Chambers barrister and arbitrator Mark Hoyle has been appointed a University of Leeds visiting professor to develop programmes for Arab and Islamic law and dispute resolution.
• The Sheffield office of Cartwright King has taken on legal executive Carmel Gleed from Graysons and paralegal John Davies from Ashton Morton Slack. Bonita Dines also joins
as a paralegal from Eversheds.
• Davis Blank Furniss senior partner Peter Heginbotham has become the new president of Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce.
• Leeds firm Lupton Fawcett has promoted Duncan Milwain to the position of director, five years after joining the firm as an assistant solicitor in the trusts, wills and estates department.
• Pinsent Masons has hired Gordon McCreath to head its planning and environment team in Glasgow as a partner. He joins from Dundas
• Nicholas Hamblen QC of 20 Essex Street has been appointed a Justice of the High Court and will be assigned to the Queen’s Bench Division.
• DLA Piper has hired Heinz Zimmermann to establish a tax practice in Cologne. He joins from Hogan & Hartson Raue in Berlin.
• Ron Given, former legal head of Argo Group, has joined Austria’s Wolf Theiss as a partner.
• Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer corporate principal associate Gerald Schumann has joined Baker & McKenzie in Munich as a partner.
• Willkie Farr & Gallagher has hired Fried Frank Paris restructuring partner Maurice Lantourne and a team of five associates.
Asia and Middle East
• Matthew Digby has joined Squire Sanders & Dempsey as a litigation partner in Tokyo. Digby joins from Bingham McCutchen.
• Dewey & LeBoeuf has raided the Qatar office of Patton Boggs for finance partner William Cattan and energy associate Joanna Addison.
• DLA Piper has hired partner David Nancarrow to head its Abu Dhabi construction and engineering practice. He joins from Australia’s Mallesons Stephen Jaques.
• Gide Loyrette Nouel has relocated partner Jacques de Servigny, currently in charge of the Budapest office, to head its Vietnam operation.
• Withers in China has recruited paralegal Ivan Fu from Gide Loyrette Nouel in Hong Kong.
• Halliwells corporate partner Matthew Puhar has joined Bingham McCutchen in Hong Kong.
• Foley & Lardner has hired three former Heller Ehrman lawyers: life sciences partner Richard Kaufman joins the San Diego and Del Mar business law and IP groups; David Charapp joins the business law team as special counsel; and associate Leslie Overman joins the IP team.
• Loeb & Loeb has hired Ieuan Jolly as senior counsel in the New York advanced media and technology group. He was previously an associate at Thelen Reid in New York.
• King & Spalding has recruited Elizabeth Tanis as a partner in its Atlanta business litigation practice. Tanis joins from Sutherland, where she was head of the professional responsibility group.
• Don DeGabrielle has joined Fulbright & Jaworski’s Houston white collar defence team. He was previously an attorney for the Southern District of Texas.
• Three corporate and securities lawyers from collapsed Thelen Reid have moved to Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman in New York. Partner Jonathan Russo joins with counsel Herman Sassower and senior associate Timothy Gladden.
• Townsend and Townsend and Crew has hired James Isbester as a litigation partner in San Francisco. He joins from Isbester & Thackray.