Matthew Jones is a partner in our construction and engineering team and also leads the firm’s infrastructure sector group. He advises on all aspects ofconstruction legal matters, particularly procurement, drafting and negotiation of building contracts, consultancy appointments and related construction agreements.
Jones also deals with ‘back end’ invisible risk management and dispute resolution. Having considerable experience in working with real estate, banking and corporate colleagues, he is an expert in co-ordinating and interfacing construction legal matters with complex real estate, corporate and finance transactions.
Jones’s clients and work are global, with projects in the UK and in other jurisdictions including Italy, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Romania, Barbados, Egypt, Turkey, Australia, Libya and Nigeria. His client work includes:
- Brookfield as contractor for the Pinnacle
- Land Securities in its JV with Canary Wharf for the Walkie Talkie
- Multi Development’s new shopping centres at Victoria Square in Belfast, Southgate in Bath (in JV with Aviva), and shopping centres in Istanbul and Izmir in Turkey
- University of Surrey’s capital programme involving various faculty buildings, student residences and developments at Surrey Research Park
- Acting for industry with HQ buildings and production/logistics facilities for Diageo and River Island
- Acting for landmark assets including the Visitor Reception Building for Westminster Palace, Royal Albert Hall’s South Porch Extension, Stowe House’s renovation, Exeter College’s refurbishment and the development of Odyssey Arena in Belfast
- Energy: advising on a 300MWe waste to power scheme and also a 500MWe gas-fired power station in Egypt
- Health: the Isle of Man government’s Noble’s Hospital at Strang and also Brookfield as contractor for New South Glasgow Hospital
- Airports: Peel Holding’s development of Robin Hood Airport as an international airport and Ryanair for hangar and passenger facilities in Norway and Ireland
- Roads: procuring with major highways works on the A3 and the A40 in the UK
Jones is recognised as a leader in his field with Chambers & Partners noting that he ‘receives praise for his ability on contractual matters’ and Legal 500 commenting that he ‘offers expert advice on construction and procurement issues’.
He is qualified to practice in Australia as well as England and Wales. He is a member of the Society for Construction Law and City of London Solicitors’ Company, where he is a member of the Construction Law Committee. He has also published in Building, Property Law Journal, Estates Gazette and Finance Week.
News from Nabarro
Briefings from Nabarro
Nominet, the UK’s registry operator, has announced that, from summer 2014, shorter .uk domain names will be made available for registration.
The Safe Harbor scheme is of key importance to transatlantic trade.
Analysis from The Lawyer
Real estate continues to be the key money spinner for Nabarro, which has always been known for its work in the UK property market, (although) last year results were up across the firm. Google’s ...
A few UK200 firms – such as DWF – have managed to grow in the downturn. A few, such as Berwin Leighton Paisner, have come back stronger than ever after a wobble. Nabarro fits into neither category.