July 2012: Pensions update
An overview of issues facing the pensions sector, covering automatic enrolment and age related factors in financial services.
Broadly speaking, there are five new employment protection measures. They will apply to an employer once it has reached its staging date for automatic enrolment – this could be any time between 1 July 2012 and 1 February 2018 (see below for more information on staging dates). The new measures are:
- no cessation of membership in, or operation of, a qualifying scheme without automatic re-enrolment in another suitable scheme;
- a prohibition on unlawfully inducing a jobholder to opt out of a qualifying scheme (see comments above on flexible benefits);
- no part of the recruitment process should make (or be seen to make) success dependent on an applicant opting out of the auto-enrolment scheme;
- a new right to complain of automatically unfair dismissal and/or detriment on grounds related to automatic enrolment rights; and
- a prohibition on waiving or limiting workers’ rights under the auto-enrolment regime, except under a compromise agreement in relation to tribunal proceedings.
If you are registered and logged in to the site, click on the link below to read the rest of the Nabarro briefing. If not, please register or sign in with your details below.
Click on the link above to download briefing.
News from Nabarro
Briefings from Nabarro
Nominet, the UK’s registry operator, has announced that, from summer 2014, shorter .uk domain names will be made available for registration.
The Safe Harbor scheme is of key importance to transatlantic trade.
Analysis from The Lawyer
Real estate continues to be the key money spinner for Nabarro, which has always been known for its work in the UK property market, (although) last year results were up across the firm. Google’s ...
A few UK200 firms – such as DWF – have managed to grow in the downturn. A few, such as Berwin Leighton Paisner, have come back stronger than ever after a wobble. Nabarro fits into neither category.