July 2012: Pensions update
An overview of issues facing the pensions sector, covering automatic enrolment and age related factors in financial services.
Broadly speaking, there are five new employment protection measures. They will apply to an employer once it has reached its staging date for automatic enrolment – this could be any time between 1 July 2012 and 1 February 2018 (see below for more information on staging dates). The new measures are:
- no cessation of membership in, or operation of, a qualifying scheme without automatic re-enrolment in another suitable scheme;
- a prohibition on unlawfully inducing a jobholder to opt out of a qualifying scheme (see comments above on flexible benefits);
- no part of the recruitment process should make (or be seen to make) success dependent on an applicant opting out of the auto-enrolment scheme;
- a new right to complain of automatically unfair dismissal and/or detriment on grounds related to automatic enrolment rights; and
- a prohibition on waiving or limiting workers’ rights under the auto-enrolment regime, except under a compromise agreement in relation to tribunal proceedings.
If you are registered and logged in to the site, click on the link below to read the rest of the Nabarro briefing. If not, please register or sign in with your details below.
Click on the link above to download briefing.
Sign in or Register to continue reading this article
It's quick, easy and free!
It takes just 5 minutes to register. Answer a few simple questions and once completed you’ll have instant access.Register now
Why register to The Lawyer
In-depth, expert analysis into the stories behind the headlines from our leading team of journalists.
Identify the major players and business opportunities within a particular region through our series of free, special reports.
Receive your pick of The Lawyer's daily and weekly email newsletters, tailored by practice area, region and job function.
More relevant to you
To continue providing the best analysis, insight and news across the legal market we are collecting some information about who you are, what you do and where you work to improve The Lawyer and make it more relevant to you.
News from The Lawyer
Analysis from The Lawyer
Nabarro senior partner and self-confessed “IT geek” Graham Stedman is heralding a major set of investments in technology ahead of the firm’s move to 125 London Wall this year.
Clients are more willing to bring claims against professional service providers but the risk to defendants is not as dramatic as it might seem