James Duncan has particular expertise in establishing on-shore and off-shore close-ended fund structures for real estates and other investments. He has particular expertise in the structure of London-based fund managers and their investment entities.
Duncan also advises many hedge-fund managers on the structure of their partnership businesses, management, distribution and performance remuneration arrangements.
This practice is complemented by Duncan’s corporate advisory experience in corporate governance, Official List and AIM flotations and domestic and international M&A transactions.
He is a well-regarded speaker on the establishment of joint ventures and international corporate agreements, having regularly lectured to industry through EuroMoney training courses and regularly advises on all aspects of corporate governance issues both at board level and as a consequence of transactions.
Some examples of Duncan’s work include working closely with a UK government office in one of the largest privatisations and subsequent listing undertaken by the UK government; lead corporate adviser to a global investment bank on the establishment of a $500m international agribusiness fund; acting for one of the biggest rail networks in the UK on their largest M&A transaction to date; advising an unsuccessful consortium bid to acquire London City Airport and acting for a number of London’s largest hedge-fund managers on the sale of minority stakes to the investment banks.
His work also includes:
- Advising Royal Bank of Canada Trustees on the restructure of DSG plc extended warranty insurance product
- Establishing an SDLT efficient LLP structure for the acquisition on a distressed £50m luxury residential London property portfolio
- Advising an international bank on the equity restructure of its UK shopping centre portfolio
- Acting for the bidder in a hostile take private transaction for AIM-listed syndicate Asset Management plc
- Cross-border sale of Mey Icki (Turkey’s largest alcoholic beverages manufacturer and distributor) to Texas Pacific Group
News from Winckworth Sherwood
News from The Lawyer
Briefings from Winckworth Sherwood
A private trustee’s duties can be onerous and it is important that a trustee is aware of them before accepting the office of trustee.
The Patent Box is a new preferential tax regime that came into force on 1 April 2013.