Philip Ryan is a specialist compliance and criminal defence lawyer advising businesses and individuals (directors, technical specialists and employees) on complying with the UK’s increasing regulatory burden.
He balances the need for a sensible, calm approach to crisis management against the need to defend clients vigorously in disputes to gain effective outcomes. His experience helps to secure the right solution for clients in short timeframes, minimising cost and negative impact.
Ryan advises clients during regulatory investigations be that making representations to the Advertising Standards Authority or in an interview under caution with police or the HSE following a fatal accident. He works in the automotive, construction, FMCG, retail & leisure, tobacco, manufacturing, and life sciences sectors.
Recent examples of his work include:-
- Philip and his team are currently involved in a number of high profile health and safety and corporate manslaughter cases, which are listed for trial in 2014;
- Successfully defending three different white goods manufacturers in five different investigations by the National Measurement Office regarding energy labelling;
- Advising an international retailer on its response to the horsemeat scandal and dealing with associated contractual issues with suppliers;
- Advising a major tobacco company and retail businesses and ‘airside’ duty free operators on compliance with tobacco regulations;
- Advising a number of household brands on product recalls regarding tools, cereals, lamps, plugs and other domestic items; also advising on related product quality frauds in the supply chain;
- Advising a large travel organisation on compliance with Package Holiday, ATOL and ABTA regulations; and
- Advising an international manufacturer on compliance with Iran sanctions.
Having trained and qualified in 2003 at DLA Piper, Ryan moved from BLP to Shoosmiths’ Thames Valley Office in 2008: he was made partner in 2013.
He has worked as a prosecutor for HSE and been seconded to the Tesco Store Ops and McDonald’s Legal Teams, giving him a genuinely hands-on, commercial approach to regulatory compliance. Ryan is a member of the Food Law Group and the Health and Safety Lawyer’s Association.
Ryan is described as a ‘standout name’ in Legal 500 and he heads the ‘excellent team’ in the South East.
Click here to find out more about Philip Ryan.
This information was sourced from the Shoosmiths website.