David Thompson is the head of Shoosmiths’ pensions team and a partner within our Employment & Pensions Department.
With more than 20 years’ experience, he advises both trustees and sponsoring employers on a wide range of pensions legal issues.
He advises clients across all sectors, including manufacturing, retail and charities.
Thompson has recent experience of:
- Closure and re-structuring of defined-benefit schemes;
- Scheme mergers;
- Buy-ins and buy-outs of pension scheme liabilities with insurance companies;
- Contingent assets offered by employers to support pension scheme liabilities;
- Funding negotiations;
- Dealing with The Pensions Regulator;
- The effect of corporate transactions and re-structurings on schemes; and
- Managing scheme entry into the Pension Protection Fund.
Thompson also has considerable experience of resolving pensions-related disputes and has acted in a number of high-profile court applications.