Penningtons Manches drafts and negotiates commercial agreements of all types, and at all stages in the development and supply chain. We assist a range of organisations, including manufacturers, retailers, service businesses and public sector institutions. Our lawyers help to ensure compliance with consumer protection, data protection, e-commerce, advertising and competition laws. The commercial team is recommended by The Legal 500 and Chambers UK.
Contracts are the basis of the relationships every organisation has with its suppliers and customers. They range from the one-off, high-value contract that must be carefully tailored to the particular deal, to framework agreements and standard terms of sale. Companies are increasingly choosing to manage the contracting process through online portals. Their standard terms can form the foundation of hundreds of contracts every week, which makes this ‘small print’ document vitally important.
No-one wants to have to enforce a contract against the other party, but having well-drafted terms can give peace of mind, as well as helping to manage risk and avoid disputes. Issues such as warranties and limitations of liability should be carefully covered so as to minimise risk.
Some contracts must comply with specific laws and regulations, in areas such as advertising, marketing and procurement and in regulated sectors. We help our clients achieve compliance while taking a common-sense approach to reflect the reality of their business.
Our aim is to realise each client’s commercial objectives, while controlling risk and ensuring the agreement is legally compliant. Our team believes in modern, plain-English drafting, so that the parties to the agreement are completely clear about their rights and obligations.
We offer expert advice on:
- Advertising, sponsorship and franchise agreements
- Agency and distribution agreements
- Collaboration, R&D agreements and joint venture agreements
- Confidentiality (non-disclosure agreements)
- Data protection and privacy
- Framework agreements and master services agreements
- Manufacturing, supply and materials transfer agreements
- Outsourcing agreements
- Procurement, including tender processes and public procurement
- Product liability
- Standard terms and conditions of sale or purchase
- Prizes, competitions and sales promotions
Click here for more information on commercial.