Gregor McGill (left) has been appointed head of the fraud prosecution service within the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
He was previously a divisional head at the Revenue and Customs Prosecution Office, where he was responsible for serious and organised crime. CPS director of public prosecutions Keir Starmer QC said McGill would handle some of the most complex cases within the organisation, adding: “He’ll bring strength, knowledge and experience to the role.” McGill replaces David Kirk, who is now chief criminal counsel for the Financial Services Authority.
- Manches has promoted senior associate Eva Huckle to partner in its family team.
- Herbert Smith has hired Graham More from the Serious Fraud Office, where he was an assistant director. He joins Herbert Smith as a consultant in the firm’s corporate crime practice.
- Higgs & Sons has strengthened its Black Country employment team by taking on Louise O’Connor as an HR consultant. Prior to this she was organisational development business partner at Trident Housing Association.
- Northampton-headquartered Tollers has hired corporate finance partner Matthew Crosse from EMW Picton Howell.
- Harrison Clark has taken on legal executive Jason Newbold as head of recoveries. He was previously a legal adviser in HSBC’s Birmingham office.
- Leeds firm Simpson Millar has hired three company commercial partners. Philip Downing joins from Brooke North, Deborah Powell from Eversheds’ Leeds office and Steve Esmond joins from Ison Harrison.
- Manchester firm JMW Solicitors has appointed Andrew Farrell as head of commercial litigation. He was previously an associate in the Sheffield office of Irwin Mitchell.
- Colemans-ctts has promoted personal injury associate Melanie Burden to partner. Adam Duffy and Steven Astley have been promoted to associates in the Manchester personal injury team.
- Irwin Mitchell has hired litigation partner John Lord for its Manchester office. Lord joins from Halliwells, where he was a partner.
- Ledingham Chalmers has recruited property partner Mike Cunningham for its Aberdeen office. He was previously at Hutcheon Rattray & Co.
- Clydesdale Bank head of corporate and structured finance Jack Ogston is joining the board of Edinburgh firm Davidson Chalmers as a non-executive director when he retires at the end of July.
- Osborne Clarke has strengthened its German insolvency practice with the hire of associate Frank Fichtner from German firm Kübler.
- Linklaters real estate partner Jens
- Bock has left the firm’s Berlin office to join SammlerUsinger along with M&A counsel Thomas Rieger.
ASIA AND MIDDLE EAST
- Eversheds partner and head of the India business group Gauri Advani has been appointed to the board of the UK India Business Council.
- Linklaters funds partner Edward Smith has relocated from London to Hong Kong to head the firm’s Asian investment management practice.
- Shearman & Sterling has four new litigation partners: antitrust specialists Edward Schwartz from DLA Piper and James Donato from Cooley Godward Kronish, as well as IP partners Michael Bednarek from Paul Hastings and Scott Doyle from Steptoe & Johnson.
- K&L Gates has snared Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman San Diego managing partner Sue Hodges. She joins as a corporate partner.
- The Charlotte office of K&L Gates has taken on Eliab Erulkar as a partner in the firm’s corporate practice. He joins from Baker & McKenzie.
- Anthony Markham has returned to Maitland as a partner in the Isle of Man family practice. He was previously in-house lawyer to a wealthy international family.
- Four barristers from St James’s Chambers in Manchester have joined Leeds-based Zenith Chambers. Timothy Lyons QC, Robert Sterling, Lucy Wilson-Barnes and Warren Potts will also remain members of St James’s.
- Erskine Chambers silk Michael Todd QC has been re-elected as chairman of the Chancery Bar Association. Committee member Malcolm Davis-White QC of 4 Stone Buildings has been re-elected as vice chairman. Catherine Addy of Maitland Chambers has been re-elected as treasurer, while Elspeth Talbot Rice QC of XXIV Old Buildings has been appointed as secretary and Mark West of Radcliffe Chambers has been appointed as seminars secretary.
- 2-3 Gray’s Inn Square has taken on housing and local government barrister Catherine Rowlands, who arrives from St Ive’s Chambers in Birmingham.
- Reynolds Porter Chamberlain tax partner Fiona Walkinshaw has joined Deloitte as a partner in the tax practice.