Privacy and data protection
Data protection laws and increasing regulatory and commercial pressure on the use of information are vital issues that affect virtually every organisation.
Our substantial international team of more than 70 data privacy experts advises on global and national data issues for clients of all shapes and sizes. We have specialists in more than 40 countries, meaning you get the depth of resource you need in globalised times.
We understand both the law and the way it is applied by regulators, offering a pragmatic and seamless approach across international boundaries. Our vast experience has given us an understanding not just of the law but also of the way in which to approach compliance tasks.
We develop insightful solutions that make sense for your business and, with brand reputation and legal liability at stake, allow you to benchmark acceptable risk.
Our pragmatic and commercially aware support on the full range of issues includes advice on:
- Balancing budget and risk to create sensible compliance programmes
- The mechanisms to deal with the transfer of personal data from Europe, including binding corporate rules
- How to practically implement ethical reporting hotlines and staff monitoring tools, email and internet use on a cross-jurisdictional basis
- How to address the data privacy issues arising from shared service/global IT platform programmes
- How to comply with the new ‘cookies’ rules
- The data protection aspects of acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and other major transactions
- The interaction between freedom-of-information laws and privacy laws
- Records retention
- Handling complaints and requests from individuals and regulatory bodies and providing guidance in the face of investigations and prosecution
- Web-based processing of data including use of online behavioural, advertising, cookies and other tools
- Data compliance in the world of cloud computing
- Reporting data security breaches
- Notifications and permits or approvals of processing activities with the relevant regulatory authorities
- Appropriate wording for contracts with employees, customers and suppliers
- Training on data protection
- Handling staff data on a multi-jurisdictional basis and the industrial relations issues that can arise as new data policies, contracts and procedures are introduced
This material has been sourced from the Eversheds website.
News from Eversheds
News from The Lawyer
Briefings from Eversheds
Technology acquisitions round-up — Facebook acquires LiveRail; Apple acquires Beats Electronics; and more
In this briefing, Eversheds sets out a choice pick of mergers and acquisitions from 2014 so far.
In Carewatch Care Services v Focus Caring Service and Others, Mr Justice Henderson had to consider the enforceability of standard post-termination restrictions.
Analysis from The Lawyer
A new breed of lawyer is smoothing the path for companies entering emerging or unstable jurisdictions
‘Exotic’ investors and opportunities for legal work beyond M&A feature in The Lawyer’s high-level roundtable debate on south-east Europe