David Thompson is the head of Shoosmiths’ pensions team and a partner within our Employment & Pensions Department.
With more than 20 years’ experience, he advises both trustees and sponsoring employers on a wide range of pensions legal issues.
He advises clients across all sectors, including manufacturing, retail and charities.
Thompson has recent experience of:
- Closure and re-structuring of defined-benefit schemes;
- Scheme mergers;
- Buy-ins and buy-outs of pension scheme liabilities with insurance companies;
- Contingent assets offered by employers to support pension scheme liabilities;
- Funding negotiations;
- Dealing with The Pensions Regulator;
- The effect of corporate transactions and re-structurings on schemes; and
- Managing scheme entry into the Pension Protection Fund.
Thompson also has considerable experience of resolving pensions-related disputes and has acted in a number of high-profile court applications.
News from Shoosmiths
News from The Lawyer
Briefings from Shoosmiths
From 1 October 2014, three new pieces of safety legislation will come into force in the UK.
An employee or witness who is fearful of giving evidence as part of a disciplinary process can cause difficulties for an employer.
Analysis from The Lawyer
Compliance and corporate governance codes for large financial institutions will undoubtedly include provisions to regulate high pay in the future
There’s more to the ABS model than attracting the man in the street and procuring external investment. Partners at the big corporate firms, take note…