Ciaran Carvalho is a partner in our real-estate team and head of the real-estate group. He deals with all aspects of commercial real estate, investment, joint ventures, finance and development. His clients include a broad range of international and domestic investors (on their own or in joint venture) and developers.
Carvalho is identified as a leader in the field of real estate by Chambers UK 2012, Chambers Global (2012) and Legal 500 (2012) directories. He is described as being ‘proactive efficient and commercial’ and ‘an excellent lawyer — and hard working’.
Carvalho is a member of the Investment Property Forum (IPF) Education Committee, a member of the British Council of Shopping Centres and the Urban Land Institute. He obtained a diploma in property investment in 2002 (Dip IPF) and is on the Operation’s Board of Advanced Education Faculty and the Investment Education Board of the IPF and ULI Offices and Mixed Use Council. He is also one of the original authors of sections of the Landlord & Tenant Factbook and has been a platform speaker for Henry Stewart and CLT conferences as well as for the Investment Property Forum.
In 2012 Carvalho chaired a working party of fund managers, investment agents, accountants, property companies and financiers for the IPF which published a paper ‘Readiness for Sale - A guide for streamlining commercial property transactions’.
Carvalho’s experience includes:
- Administrators of Woolworths plc — acting for the administrators on sale of a portfolio of 51 stores
- AM Alpha — acquisition of Fleet Place House, London EC1
- Angelo Gordon & Co — acting on the acquisition of St Ermin’s Hotel, London SW1
- Capmark Investments — acting on the sale of joint venture interest in Vintners Place EC4 and cross border investment and joint venture work in Germany, France and the Netherlands
- Chelsfield plc — acting on site assembly, development, letting and disposal of Merry Hill (one of the largest mixed use schemes in the UK) and letting of an anchor store to Marks & Spencer plc at Westfield London
- Employees Provident Fund of Malaysia — acting on the acquisition of 40 Portman Square, London W1 through the purchase of units in a Jersey unit trust
- Freeport Leisure — acting on disposal of a portfolio of UK factory outlet centres and cross border development work on retail and leisure schemes in Austria, Czech Republic, Portugal, France, Germany and Sweden
- Gi Partners and Urban & Civic — acting on acquisition of Alconbury Airfield: a 1,100 acre site with consent for 7m square feet of commercial development
- Highcross — acting on acquisition of Europa portfolio (office investments across the UK)
- Lend Lease/LCR — advising on the development of the International Quarter at Stratford
- London & Regional — acting on the acquisition of Elizabeth House, London SE1 a site expected on redevelopment to have an end value of circa £1bn, purchase of Marriot Hotel, London SW1 and acquisition of Cumberland Hotel, Marble Arch, London W1
- Morgan Stanley — real-estate elements on the acquisition of a distressed loan portfolio
- A major Korean pension fund — acquisition of city office investment
- Smedvig Eiendom — acquisition of development site in London’s West End
- Starwood Capital — acting on acquisition of a portfolio of 11 UK hotels from Hilton and equity investment through joint venture in major building in Grays Inn Road, London WC1
News from Nabarro
Briefings from Nabarro
The Safe Harbor scheme is of key importance to transatlantic trade.
Mr Mitchell’s solicitors have been denied the ability to recover costs, estimated to be in excess of £500,000, because they failed to file a costs budget on time.
Analysis from The Lawyer
Real estate continues to be the key money spinner for Nabarro, which has always been known for its work in the UK property market, (although) last year results were up across the firm. Google’s ...
A few UK200 firms – such as DWF – have managed to grow in the downturn. A few, such as Berwin Leighton Paisner, have come back stronger than ever after a wobble. Nabarro fits into neither category.