Chris McClure is a partner and heads up our structured asset finance team. He has a wide range of experience in relation to structured and asset finance transactions.
He specialises in aircraft and rolling-stock transactions such as operating and finance leases (including cross-border leases) and the sale and purchase of such assets. He has acted on behalf of a number of clients in the aviation and rail sectors including banks, leasing companies, manufacturers, airlines, tour operators, train operators (passenger and freight) and air-traffic control organisations.
Examples of his work include:
- acting for one of the lead members of the consortium appointed by the Department for Transport to replace the UK’s current fleet of high-speed trains pursuant to its PFI InterCity Express Programme (the project has a reported value in excess of £4.5bn);
- acting for a rolling stock leasing company in connection with the leasing of rolling stock worth in excess of £1bn to a new franchisee;
- acting for two train operating companies in connection with the leasing of all rolling stock required to operate their franchises;
- acting for a train operating company in relation to its proposed acquisition of a fleet of additional new or refurbished vehicles (reported value of up to 180 million);
- acting for a freight operator in connection with the procurement of a fleet of new locomotives (and the related sale/leaseback);
- acting for a flag carrier in relation to the leasing and subleasing of various aircraft;
- acting for a tour operator in connection with the leasing and subleasing of various aircraft;
- acting for an air traffic control organisation in connection with the procurement of a new air traffic control system (hardware and software) and the leasing of air traffic control equipment;
- acting for a tour operator in connection with the procurement of an online reservation system; acting for a tour operator in connecting with a major outsourcing programme.
He has been recognised in the leading legal directories for his work:
Chambers UK describes him as ‘an “extremely thorough and detailed lawyer”, Chris McClure impresses clients with his “second-to-none turnaround time”. He attracts much praise for his “sensible, thorough approach and impressively detailed understanding of the marketplace”.’
McClure is singled out for his immense knowledge of the industry: ‘He’s very busy and in demand.’ Clients highlight his ‘open and relaxed manner’, adding that he is ‘an effective and well-prepared adviser and negotiator’.
(Chambers UK, A Client’s Guide to the Legal Profession)
McClure consistently ‘comes up trumps’ and ‘clients highlight Chris McClure’s “focused industry knowledge”.’
McClure qualified in 1990 with Norton Rose where he spent time in the firm’s banking and asset finance department. He joined Shoosmiths in May 2009.
News from Shoosmiths
News from The Lawyer
Briefings from Shoosmiths
On 12 December 2013, the OFT announced that a £380,000 settlement had been agreed in relation to a market sharing cartel involving two pharmaceutical suppliers.
As we head towards 2014, the finance market is becoming more optimistic and competitive.
Analysis from The Lawyer
Compliance and corporate governance codes for large financial institutions will undoubtedly include provisions to regulate high pay in the future
There’s more to the ABS model than attracting the man in the street and procuring external investment. Partners at the big corporate firms, take note…