Tax update — April 2014: Luxembourg and international tax law
Arendt and Medernach’s quarterly tax update is dedicated to the main changes that have occurred over the last three months with regard to Luxembourg and international tax law.
- Introduction of a bill of law approving the Convention on Mutual Administrative Assistance in Tax Matters
- Introduction of a bill of law abolishing the withholding tax system under the EU Savings Directive
- New circular letter on the tax regime for highly skilled impatriates
- New circular letter on Luxembourg tax treatment of supplementary pension schemes
- Case law on the exchange of information — the foreign request must relate to defined taxpayers and cannot be extended to third parties (Cases No. 33272a and 33273a)
- Luxembourg concludes intergovernmental agreement with the US on FATCA
- Enlargement of the scope of the Savings Directive
- VAT exemption for management of defined-contribution pension schemes
- Loss of right to deduct VAT unduly paid
- Increase of VAT rates
- Notion of special investment fund in the real estate sector
- Independent groups of persons (IGP): Luxembourg’s VAT regime challenged by the EU Commission
- Tax treaty network
Click on the link below to read the Arendt & Medernach briefing.
Sign in or Register to continue reading this article
It's quick, easy and free!
It takes just 5 minutes to register. Answer a few simple questions and once completed you’ll have instant access.Register now
Why register to The Lawyer
In-depth, expert analysis into the stories behind the headlines from our leading team of journalists.
Identify the major players and business opportunities within a particular region through our series of free, special reports.
Receive your pick of The Lawyer's daily and weekly email newsletters, tailored by practice area, region and job function.
More relevant to you
To continue providing the best analysis, insight and news across the legal market we are collecting some information about who you are, what you do and where you work to improve The Lawyer and make it more relevant to you.
News from Arendt & Medernach
Briefings from Arendt & Medernach
The bill of law regarding reserved alternative investment funds has just been approved by the Council of Government.
New law will substantially increase the compliance burden on funds and banks