So you’ve got permitted development rights, have you?

How many times have you quickly looked through a planning permission and thought to yourself, we have planning permission for X and therefore we can use permitted development rights to switch to Y, without giving any further thought to the matter?

Many people do this on a regular basis. However, in certain circumstances, such an approach can lead to difficulty.

The General Permitted Development Order 1995 as amended (GPDO) allows a variety of changes of use which would ordinarily, without the Order, require planning permission. One of the most widely used provisions we have come across in recent times is the ability to switch from A3 (restaurants and cafes) to A1 (shops). It is very easy to glance at an A3 consent and form a view that you can use the rights to switch to A1 retail. However, this isn’t always necessarily the case…

Click on the link below to read the rest of the Gateley briefing. 

Sign in or Register to continue reading this article

Sign in


It's quick, easy and free!

It takes just 5 minutes to register. Answer a few simple questions and once completed you’ll have instant access.

Register now

Why register to The Lawyer


Industry insight

In-depth, expert analysis into the stories behind the headlines from our leading team of journalists.


Market intelligence

Identify the major players and business opportunities within a particular region through our series of free, special reports.


Email newsletters

Receive your pick of The Lawyer's daily and weekly email newsletters, tailored by practice area, region and job function.

More relevant to you

To continue providing the best analysis, insight and news across the legal market we are collecting some information about who you are, what you do and where you work to improve The Lawyer and make it more relevant to you.

Briefings from Gateley Plc

View more briefings from Gateley Plc

Analysis from The Lawyer

View more analysis from The Lawyer


111 Edmund Street
B3 2HJ

Turnover (£m): 71.70
No. of lawyers: 406