RETT blocker avoidance regulation

According to the German Real Estate Transfer Tax Act (RETT Act), the transfer of at least 95 per cent of the interests in a partnership holding domestic real estate or the acquisition of at least 95 per cent of the shares in a corporation holding domestic real estate triggers Real Estate Transfer Tax (RETT), regardless of whether the transfer or the acquisition has been performed directly or indirectly. In the case of an indirect transfer or acquisition, the RETT Act requires that the 95 per cent threshold has been met at each company level.

The evaluation of the 95 per cent threshold is exclusively based on a civil law approach, not on an economic approach. Based on the civil law approach, RETT could have been avoided by introducing a special-purpose vehicle (RETT Blocker Structure) through which the investor acquired only 94.9 per cent of the shares in the relevant real property holding company (or target).

In addition, the investor would hold 94.9 per cent of the interests in a partnership that acquired the remaining 5.1 per cent of the shares in the target…

If you are registered and logged in to the site, click on the link below to read the rest of the Taylor Wessing briefing. If not, please register or sign in with your details below.

Sign in or Register to continue reading this article

Sign in


It's quick, easy and free!

It takes just 5 minutes to register. Answer a few simple questions and once completed you’ll have instant access.

Register now

Why register to The Lawyer


Industry insight

In-depth, expert analysis into the stories behind the headlines from our leading team of journalists.


Market intelligence

Identify the major players and business opportunities within a particular region through our series of free, special reports.


Email newsletters

Receive your pick of The Lawyer's daily and weekly email newsletters, tailored by practice area, region and job function.

More relevant to you

To continue providing the best analysis, insight and news across the legal market we are collecting some information about who you are, what you do and where you work to improve The Lawyer and make it more relevant to you.

Briefings from Taylor Wessing

View more briefings from Taylor Wessing

Analysis from The Lawyer

  • merger deal

    Corporate crunch time: who will triumph at The Lawyer Awards 2014?

    As the equity capital markets rocketed back into favour and global M&A saw at least a partial return to form, there have been some rich pickings for The Lawyer’s Corporate Team of the Year award shortlisted firms in 2014. 

  • singapore orchid

    Singapore: Cash course

    The city-state is working hard to become a global wealth management hub, and law firms are gearing up for a prosperous new world

View more analysis from The Lawyer


5 New Street Square

Turnover (£m): 241.20
No. of lawyers: 860 (UK 200)
Jurisdiction: UK
No. of offices: 6
No. of qualified lawyers: 73 (International 50)
No. of partners: 29