Veale Wasbrough Vizards

UK 200 2014 position: 93

Certificates of lawful use — a reminder for councils

By Polly Reynolds

If an individual carries out building operations or a material change of use without planning permission, the local authority may serve an enforcement notice.

Even so, section 171B of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (TCPA) provides time limits within which enforcement action must be taken. After this period, a breach of planning control will become immune to enforcement action. In the case of a change of use, the time limit for enforcement is 10 years.

When a time limit for enforcement action has expired, an individual may apply to the local planning authority for the grant of a Certificate of Lawfulness of the Existing Use or Development (CLEUD). In the recent case of R v Wiltshire Council [2014] EWHC 211 (Admin), this process was under scrutiny…

Click on the link below to read the rest of the Veale Wasbrough Vizards briefing.

Sign in or Register to continue reading this article

Sign in


It's quick, easy and free!

It takes just 5 minutes to register. Answer a few simple questions and once completed you’ll have instant access.

Register now

Why register to The Lawyer


Industry insight

In-depth, expert analysis into the stories behind the headlines from our leading team of journalists.


Market intelligence

Identify the major players and business opportunities within a particular region through our series of free, special reports.


Email newsletters

Receive your pick of The Lawyer's daily and weekly email newsletters, tailored by practice area, region and job function.

More relevant to you

To continue providing the best analysis, insight and news across the legal market we are collecting some information about who you are, what you do and where you work to improve The Lawyer and make it more relevant to you.

Briefings from Veale Wasbrough Vizards

View more briefings from Veale Wasbrough Vizards

Analysis from The Lawyer

  • sapling

    Profit on the margins

    You don’t have to be a big firm to innovate and thrive in a downturn, as our look at the lower half of the UK 200 shows. We pick 10 inspiring stories

Browse This Firm’s


Orchard Court
Orchard Lane

Turnover (£m): 23.71
No. of lawyers: 133