Lawyers on Demand (LoD), the Berwin Leighton Paisner (BLP)-backed legal resourcing business which has until now provided lawyers to in-house teams and other law firms on a secondment basis is rolling out a new pay-as-you-go service.
The new business line is branded LoD On Call while the secondment business line has been re-branded LoD On Site. The new On Call service is aimed at helping law firms and in-house teams marry uneven work flows with the requirement to reduce overheads by providing temporary lawyers as and when they are needed.
“Because of the pressure on fees in the legal sector and the fact that there are more peaks and troughs,” said LoD co-founder Jonathan Brenner, “all firms are looking at ways of reducing fixed overheads.”
BLP already has around eight LoD lawyers at the firm’s London Bridge head office, Brenner revealed.
“They tend to be in very niche practices,” added Brenner. “Mainstream practices don’t really need them as much. And the first port of call for BLP will always be whether any of its own lawyers can do the job.”
LoD, which provides freelance lawyers at fixed rates to companies and firms that need extra legal muscle to cope with spikes in work, was launched in 2008. It began with a pilot of eight lawyers and has since grown to around 120, with revenue exceeding £9m for the most recent financial year.
Last year BLP partners voted to spin off LoD into a separate company (24 May 2012).
BLP retained an 80 per cent stake in the new company, with co-founders Brenner and Simon Harper sharing the remaining 20 per cent and continuing to run the business.