Bezen & Partners
Bezen & Partners is a full service independent law firm providing legal services to domestic and international clients. Its partners have extensive experience in complex cross-border transactions, gained through their employment in ‘Magic Circle’ law firms and Turkish governmental institutions (i.e. the Turkish Privatisation Administration). The key practice areas of the firm are capital markets & finance, corporate & commercial, mergers & acquisitions, energy & infrastructure, privatisation, real estate and dispute resolution. The firm advises financiers, large to mid-sized corporations, private equity funds, investors, property owners and governmental entities. The Lawyer ranked the firm as Law Firm of the Year in Turkey for 2011.
Bezen & Partners has a strong team headed by partners Aykut Bakirci, Serdar Bezen, Yesim Bezen and Nadia Cansun in Istanbul.
Aykut Bakirci started his career as a legal practitioner in 1990. From 1996 until 2006 he was employed as counsel in the legal department of the Turkish Privatisation Administration. From 2006 until 2010 he served as the Head of Legal of the Turkish Privatisation Administration, before relocating to Istanbul and joining the firm. He assists clients in regulatory, real estate and administrative law matters. He is the author of several articles on the Turkish energy market and privatisation procedure of energy entities and other government assets.
Serdar Bezen is a member of the Turkish Bar Associations since 1991. He has worked on major project deals at Allen & Overy London (mainly on Turkish energy and infrastructure projects). He advises on a wide range of Turkish law matters, with focus on project finance, mergers & acquisitions, arbitration and litigation. After relocating to Istanbul he worked in various matters in a leading Turkish law firm before establishing Bezen & Partners. He is listed as an LCIA arbitrator. He is the author of several articles on the Turkish Arbitration Law, the Turkish Electricity Market Law and the Banking Legislation.
Yesim Bezen is a qualified solicitor (England & Wales). She completed her training with and was employed by Clifford Chance LLP’s London office from 2001 to 2007. During her time in the asset & structured finance department of Clifford Chance, she advised clients on banking, aviation, shipping, structured finance and project finance transactions until establishing Bezen & Partners. She has extensive experience of banking and project finance work in both Turkey and abroad. She advises finance institutions, international organisations and sponsors in banking, energy and infrastructure deals. She is the author of several articles on the Turkish energy market and privatisation of energy entities and assets and on leasing/financing transactions.
Nadia Cansun is a qualified solicitor (England & Wales). Following her training she was employed by Wragge & Co from 1998 until 2001. From 2001 until 2005 she was employed by Allen & Overy’s Moscow office where she was part of the corporate team specialising in mergers and acquisitions. From 2005, until joining Bezen & Partners in October 2008, she was the General Counsel of News Corp’s outdoor advertising division, News Outdoor Group, based in Moscow, where she was primarily responsible for acquisitions. She advises both international and Turkish clients on corporate, commercial and M&A matters. She is the author of several articles on the Turkish energy market and Turkish commercial law.
Bezen & Partners’ lawyers come from various different backgrounds. All members of the team of 30 are either foreign educated/qualified and/or possess cross-border work experience. Given the diverse backgrounds of the firm’s lawyers the firm operates in an English speaking environment. The firm’s lawyers speak English, French, German, Italian and Turkish fluently.
The firm’s experience highlights (focusing on finance and M&A deals) include:
- Advising the Russian sponsors and the Turkish project company on the development, construction and operation of Turkey’s $22 billion first nuclear power plant in Akkuyu, Mersin.
- Advising the Turkish sponsors on the largest electricity generation privatisation and financing of 9 power plants (ADÜAS)
- Advising the lenders in a $1 billion secured financing for the restructuring of the debts of a major petroleum group
- Advising the Turkish sponsors on the largest wind farm project financing in Turkey (Osmaniye Project which was awarded “Best RES Financing of the Year 2009 Reward” in Europe and the “On-shore Wind Deal of the Year” by Euromoney)
- Advising a Singaporean subcontractor on the design and installation of a telecommunications system in respect of the $4.1 billion Marmaray Project
- Advising a German transport corporation in its acquisition of Turkish subsidiaries of an international group of companies
- Advising a Swedish corporation in relation to the transfer of a business as a going concern forming part of global restructuring
- Advising a Swiss private equity fund in an auction process in relation to a Turkish subsidiary of an international group company
- Advising a Russian energy giant on the acquisition of an entire HEPP Portfolio (21 HEPPs) of a Turkish conglomerate
- Advising an international renewable energy company on its acquisition and disposal program
- Advising the management of a non-domestic media group in connection with the sale by the majority shareholders of its interests.
Key practice areas:
Finance & capital markets, corporate, mergers & acquisitions, energy & infrastructure, privatisation, real estate, litigation and arbitration.
OverviewEski Büyükdere Caddesi
No:14 Park Plaza, Floor 12
Number of fee earners: 30
Number of lawyers: 30
Number of partners: 4
Number of female partners: 2